Old 12-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Anna Merchant

Default Silverbeet

I as looking at seeds today for some silverbeet, nd noticed 3 differing
varieties available there. Fordhork Giant, Dwarf Compact, and some other
variety I cant remember. Do these taste any different, and does anyone have
any success with some of them? I bought the Dwarf Compact one, so will see
how they go.

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Old 13-04-2003, 05:56 PM
simy1

"Anna Merchant" wrote in message ...
I as looking at seeds today for some silverbeet, nd noticed 3 differing
varieties available there. Fordhork Giant, Dwarf Compact, and some other
variety I cant remember. Do these taste any different, and does anyone have
any success with some of them? I bought the Dwarf Compact one, so will see
how they go.

They are a relatively easy plant to grow. The leaves are very
nutritious, and they have a long harvest. They like manure and a pH
close to 7. Fordhook is usually the most reliable and abundant
producer (white stalks).
Old 14-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Dianna Visek

So what is silverbeet? How is it different from regular beets?

REgards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 16-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Anna Merchant

Urmn, you eat the leaves, they are green leaves, kinda like spinach, or like
the asian bok choy or pak choy, kinda, ok maybe not, they look kinda the
same. A web search should help, i've eaten it all my life here in NZ.

Old 16-04-2003, 03:56 PM
simy1

"Anna Merchant" wrote in message ...
Urmn, you eat the leaves, they are green leaves, kinda like spinach, or like
the asian bok choy or pak choy, kinda, ok maybe not, they look kinda the
same. A web search should help, i've eaten it all my life here in NZ.

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?
"Dianna Visek" wrote in message
So what is silverbeet? How is it different from regular beets?

REgards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Silverbeet is chard in the USA.

Old 18-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Dianna Visek

That explains everything!

Thanks, Dianna

Old 26-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Scott Parker

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:52:25 +1200, "Anna Merchant"
wrote:

I as looking at seeds today for some silverbeet, nd noticed 3 differing
varieties available there. Fordhork Giant, Dwarf Compact, and some other
variety I cant remember. Do these taste any different, and does anyone have
any success with some of them? I bought the Dwarf Compact one, so will see
how they go.

Over the years I've tried many different varieties of silverbeet (also
called chard or Swiss chard). At first I didn't think there was any
significant difference in flavor among the ones with pale stems. But
last year I tried a variety called Silverado and it is now my official
flavor favorite.

Silverbeet (Swiss chard) is one of the easiest things to grow around
here (West Coast Marine climate). It produces continuously and can
survive almost all winters here in Vancouver, B.C. Then, early in the
spring, before anything else has had a chance to get going, it
produces new, edible leaves and shoots. In fact, we had our first
serving of overwintered chard a week ago. Being a biannual plant, the
overwintered chard will go to seed, but, if we keep the shoots cut
back, not before the new year's spinach is just about ready to be
picked.

Scott

....Compost: a heap of goodness for your garden.
Old 26-04-2003, 06:32 PM
George Shirley

I grow a variety called Charlotte, has red stems and leaf veins. Doesn't
get as big as Fordhook, tastes better than Fordhook and the brightly
colored variety to me and produces well in our hot, humid climate.

George

wrote:

[...]

Silverbeet get brown stems (Brisbane) Lionel van den Berg Australia 9 13-10-2007 12:50 AM
Silverbeet Steve[_7_] Australia 7 09-04-2007 01:17 AM
Red Silverbeet Snoopy Edible Gardening 3 04-09-2005 09:32 PM
Yellow silverbeet Ivan McDonagh Australia 9 04-12-2003 09:43 PM