Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Daniel Prince

Default Mislabeled transplants

This year we bought a pot of cucumbers that were supposed to be
lemon cucumbers and a six pack of eggplants that were supposed to be
American type. The cucumbers turned out to be pickling type and the
eggplants turned out to be Japanese eggplants.

Last year we had the same problem with the eggplants. A few years
ago, we bought a six pack of cucumbers that were supposed to be
lemon cucumbers and they turned out to be Japanese cucumbers. One
year we bought a pot with three plants that were supposed to be
yellow crookneck squash and one of the plants was a scalloped type
squash.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Why does this happen? Are customers accidently switching the ID
stakes? Are children deliberately switching the ID stakes as a
prank? Are the companies that grow the transplants careless?

If it is customers or children switching the ID stakes, is there any
way we can get the stores/producers to use glue on ID labels on the
pots/six packs instead of the stakes? Thank you in advance for all