GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cauliflower color??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/147375-cauliflower-color.html)

higgledy 05-07-2006 12:40 AM

cauliflower color???

I have a cauliflower that is white closer to the top but close to the
leaves it is purple. Does anyone know how this happened? I did tie
about 2-3 leaves together to blanche the cauliflower since it first
formed. The top is white-white, the bottom is white florettes with
purple stalks.

[email protected] 05-07-2006 01:52 AM

cauliflower color???

higgledy wrote:
"I have a cauliflower that is white closer to the top but close to the
leaves it is purple. Does anyone know how this happened? I did tie
about 2-3 leaves together to blanche the cauliflower since it first
formed. The top is white-white, the bottom is white florettes with
purple stalks."

There/s a purple head variety (Violet Queen) that doesn/t require
blanching. Is it possible you blanched away the purple color, save for
the floret stems?

Deb Hayes 05-07-2006 05:01 AM

cauliflower color???

Thanks so much for this question and the answer! I planted what were tagged
as Snowball cauliflower, and most have had the standard colors. However, I
have had the same situation as Higgledy, so I know they weren't ALL
Snowballs. I also bent a leaf over the head to protect it from our recently
extreme sunshine (unusual 90s and 100s), and have white heads with purple
stems.

I guess that could be it!

Thanks, both of you!

Deb