Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Netter

Default ZATAR and Is there more than one kind of Tyme

Does anyone grow the spice Lebanese call zataar?

What is it.

I understand there is more than one variety of thyme.

Can you list then and maybe describe them?

What type is sold as a spice?

Thanks in advance for any info

Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley

Zatar is not just one spice but a mixture of several herbs, etc. There
are at least three varieties of thyme that I know of and probably more.
One ingredient of zatar is sumac. I would look it up on the web and you
should be able to find the proper mix and/or a place to buy it. Most
Middle Eastern stores or deli's carry the stuff.

George

Old 08-07-2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

" Netter" wrote:

Does anyone grow the spice Lebanese call zataar?

What is it.

It's a blend of various herbs. Here's one recipe, courtesy of
http://www.recipecottage.com/dry-mixes/zaatar01.html

Zaatar Mix

1 cup sumac
2 cups roasted, ground sesame seeds
1/2 cup dried ground thyme
2 tablespoons dried leaf oregano
2 tablespoons dried leaf marjoram
2 tablespoons dried leaf savory
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste (optional)

Mix all the ingredients together except the salt (some sumac is
salty; also, you may not want the salt for some zaatar uses). Taste
carefully and add the salt if desired. Keep the zaatar mix in a
tightly closed jar (the sesame seeds will last 6 months maximum);
it will stay fresher in the refrigerator or freezer than at room
temperature.

Makes about 4 cups.

I understand there is more than one variety of thyme.

Can you list then and maybe describe them?

Courtesy of http://earthnotes.tripod.com/thyme.htm

VARIETIES of ORNAMENTAL and OTHER THYMES
Annie Hall (T. praecox arcticus 'A.H.')
Archer's Gold (T. sp. 'A.G.')
Bressingham Pink (T. Doerfleri 'B.P.')
Caespititus "Tufted Thyme" (T. caespititus)
Camphor Thyme (T. camphoratus) - tender perennial
Carnosa (T. carnosus) - tender perennial
Coconut (T. praecox ssp)
Conehead (Coriothymus capitatus)
Creeping, 'Clear Gold' (T. sp. 'C.G.')
Creeping 'Dot Wells' (T. pulegoides 'D.W.')
Creeping Golden Variegated (T. praec. arct. 'Mayfair')
Creeping PInk (T. sp)
Creeping Red (T. puleg. 'Kermesinus')
Creeping Red, Narrow-Leaf (T. praec. arct. 'Coccineus')
Creeping White (T. praec. arct. 'Alba')
Creeping White Moss (T. praec. arct. 'W.M.')
Creeping Woolly (T. sp)
Doone Valley (T. 'D.V.')
Dr. Blackburn (T. sp)
Drucei (T. praec. arct.)
Emerald Cushion (T. praec. arct. 'E.C.')
Epiroticus (T. sp)
Erectus (T. sp)
Lanicaulis (T. thracicus)
Lavender (T. thracius) - potpourri and sachet
Lemon Frost (T. sp x 'L.F.') Loevyanus (T. 'Long-leaf Gray')
Longwood (T. 'Longwood')
Marchallii (T. pannonicus)
Marshallianus (T. 'Linear-leaf Lilac')
Micans (T. caespititus 'Tuffet')
Minus (T. minus)
Moonlight (T. leucotrichus 'M')
Nummularius (T. sp)
Orange Balsam (T. vulg. 'O.B.') - potpourri and sachets; fruit salads
Pinewood (T. 'P.')
Pink Chintz (T. praec. arct. 'P.C.')
Pulegioides (T. puleg.)
Russian (T. sp)
Serpentine Citriodorum (Thymus sp)
Serp. Nutmeg (T. praecox Arct. sp)
Serp. Rosea (T. praec. arct. sp)
Silver (T. 'Argenteus')
Silver Needles (T. cherleriodes 'S.N.')
Silver, Hi-Ho (T. sp)
White Magic (T. puleg. 'W.M.')
Woolly (T. praec. arct. lanuginosus)
Woolly, Hall's (T. praec. arct. 'H.'s W')
Woolly-Stemmed Early (T. sp)
WoollyStemmed Sharp (T. 'W.-s S.')
Woolly-Stemmed Sweet (T. 'W.-s S')

What type is sold as a spice?

From the same source:

VARIETIES of CULINARY THYME
Alba (T. sp. 'Alba')
Caraway (T. Herba-barona)
Caraway, Lemon (T. Herba-barona citriodorus)
E.B. Anderson (T. citriodorus 'E.B.A.')
English (T. 'Broad-leaf English')
English, Variegated (T. 'Variegated English')
English Wedgewood (T. 'Wedgewood English')
French (T. vulg. 'Narrow-leaf French')
German French (T. v. sp. 'Tall German')
German Winter (T. vulg. sp 'N.-L. F')
Greek (T. v. sp 'N.-L.F.')
Green, Compact (T. vulg. 'Dottie Jacobsen')
Grey Hill (T. vulg. 'Grey Hill')
Japanese (T. quinquecostatus ibukiensis 'Alba') Lemon (T. x
citriodorus)
Lemon, Golden (T. x citriodorus 'Aureus')
Lemon, Silver (T. x citriodorus 'Argenteus')
Lemon, Silver-Edged (T. x. citrod. 'Argenteus' sp)
Lime (T. x citriod. sp)
Miniature (Thymus sp)
Miniature, English, Narrow-Leaf (Thymus sp)
Mother of Thyme (T. pulegioides)
Nutmeg (T. herba-barona)
Oregano (T. puleg. 'O-scented')
Pennsylvania Dutch Tea (T. pulegioides ssp)
Porlock (T. 'Porlock')
Provencal, Narrow-Leaf (T. vulg. ssp)
Rosa's Delight (T. vulg. ssp)

Thanks in advance for any info

Probably more than you needed or wanted ;-).

Ross
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

" Netter" wrote in message
Does anyone grow the spice Lebanese call zataar?

What is it.

I understand there is more than one variety of thyme.

Can you list then and maybe describe them?

What type is sold as a spice?

Thanks in advance for any info

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/...ix.html#Zahtar

David