Old 10-07-2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
andromeda4000

Default Pruning tomatos

I think I need to prune my tomatos to yield better fruit instead of
huge plant growth. I forget though, is it to pinch off the new leaves
at the main branches or something else?

Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

andromeda4000 wrote:

I think I need to prune my tomatos to yield better fruit instead of
huge plant growth. I forget though, is it to pinch off the new leaves
at the main branches or something else?

You prune the suckers that appear in between the branch and the stem.

..
Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"andromeda4000" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I need to prune my tomatos to yield better fruit instead of
huge plant growth. I forget though, is it to pinch off the new leaves
at the main branches or something else?

Huge plant growth and poor fruiting could be a result of over-fertilizing.
What have your plants been feed and how frequently?

I/m not a big fan of pruning, unless it/s to remove branches that come in
contact with the ground to prevent leaf diseases or if I/m trying to win an
obesity prize.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
andromeda4000

I have been following the advice on the box of tomato plant food from
K-Mart and feeding one tablespoon dissolved in a gallon of water once
every two weeks.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Tomats aren/t heavy feeders. Does each plant get a full gallon of 'blue
light special' elixir? What/s its NPK?

I/d try laying off the ferts for a month, then resume feeding either
half-strength every two weeks or full-strength once a month.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

My 5 year old cut the top off one of my tomatoes. It was an
indeterminant, will it stop growing now?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

higgledy wrote:
My 5 year old cut the top off one of my tomatoes. It was an
indeterminant, will it stop growing now?

It shouldn't. At least as long as you got a sucker or two left. Keep an
eye out the next few days. Something should show up.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message
higgledy wrote:
My 5 year old cut the top off one of my tomatoes. It was an
indeterminant, will it stop growing now?

It shouldn't. At least as long as you got a sucker or two left. Keep an
eye out the next few days. Something should show up.

I broke the top out of a t-plant earlier this year. The suckers took over
and the vine/s doing fine, which is one good reason not to pluck suckers b/c
you just never know when you might need them.