GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vermicomposting In Winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/147724-vermicomposting-winter.html)

John 15-07-2006 03:29 PM

Vermicomposting In Winter

In making plans for my first attempt at vermicomposting here in Zone 5A,
I am wondering whether and to what extent this activity may continue
uninterrupted, albeit slowly, during the winter months. Do the red worms
die off in winter or just hibernate if left outdoors in their box in a
dormant garden? If they are likely to die/freeze out, would it be
sufficient to move the plywood worm box into an unheated garage or
uninsulated outdoor storage building instead? Or do you folks build
insulated worm boxes for such environments even for the unheated,
uninsulated shed? The web sites I've seen so far do not seem to address
these particular questions directly.

Thanks,

J.

J.C. 15-07-2006 11:50 PM

Vermicomposting In Winter

Go to Yahoo Groups, search for vermicomposting. I think you will find a
group called the Wormbin. I doubt you'll ever have a question those folks
can't anwer.

--
J.C.

John 16-07-2006 12:39 PM

Vermicomposting In Winter

That certainly looks like the place where the experts hang out.
Thanks!

J.