GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Artichokes not budding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/147794-re-artichokes-not-budding.html)

sueb 17-07-2006 08:59 PM

Artichokes not budding

Frank J Warner wrote:
I planted four chokes in my front garden in early April. They are
thriving but only one of them has produced any buds. The other three
show no signs of budding. They are in the same bed, with the same
watering schedule, fertilizer, etc., same plants fron the same nursery.

California Central Coast, zone 15-16. The commercial fields all around
my town are full of chokes ready for harvest.

Why are mine not budding?

I think you may have planted too late. Keep watering, they should
produce next year. Mine come back year after year. The buds usually
appear in late April - this year it was more like mid-May. I also
didn't get very many this year so maybe it's just a bad year.

I'm in Silicon Valley so not too far from you.

Susan B.

Doug DuBois 19-07-2006 05:56 AM

Artichokes not budding

sueb wrote:
Frank J Warner wrote:
I planted four chokes in my front garden in early April. They are
thriving but only one of them has produced any buds. The other three
show no signs of budding. They are in the same bed, with the same
watering schedule, fertilizer, etc., same plants fron the same nursery.

California Central Coast, zone 15-16. The commercial fields all around
my town are full of chokes ready for harvest.

Why are mine not budding?

The best artichoke plant I ever grew (Santa Barbara) didn't flower the
first year. I remember continuing to fertilize with large amounts of
fish emulsion all fall and winter, and the following spring the plant
was giant.It produced over 100 artichokes that spring and into summer.
Give it lots of nitrogen and watch out.

Frank Warner 26-07-2006 12:49 AM

Artichokes not budding

In article , Doug DuBois
eldoobie@atyahoodotcom wrote:

sueb wrote:
Frank J Warner wrote:
I planted four chokes in my front garden in early April. They are
thriving but only one of them has produced any buds. The other three
show no signs of budding. They are in the same bed, with the same
watering schedule, fertilizer, etc., same plants fron the same nursery.

California Central Coast, zone 15-16. The commercial fields all around
my town are full of chokes ready for harvest.

Why are mine not budding?

The best artichoke plant I ever grew (Santa Barbara) didn't flower the
first year. I remember continuing to fertilize with large amounts of
fish emulsion all fall and winter, and the following spring the plant
was giant.It produced over 100 artichokes that spring and into summer.
Give it lots of nitrogen and watch out.

Thanks, all. I'll wait another season for the other three. Maybe calve
off the one that's producing a little earlier next year.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Jan Flora 26-07-2006 10:46 PM

Artichokes not budding

sueb wrote:
Frank J Warner wrote:
[...]

Artichokes need a chilling period to bud. Like a week or two
under 50 degrees. You'll probably have to wait until next year
or this winter, then you'll get chokes.

Jan

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.