GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can I prune a squash vine? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/147838-can-i-prune-squash-vine.html)

zxcvbob 18-07-2006 11:22 PM

Can I prune a squash vine?

A volunteer squash plant in my garden is outproducing the squash that I
planted; I may pull up the planted ones to make room for it.
(seriously) But the volunteer is running like a pumpkin vine -- covered
with perfect little yellow straightneck squash.

Can I pinch back the runners on some of the vines so they don't smother
my whole garden? It's just one plant, but it's growing several feet per
day in all directions. I don't want to kill it, but I need to slow it
down a little in a few directions.

Thanks,
Bob

[email protected] 19-07-2006 01:59 AM

Can I prune a squash vine?

zxcvbob wrote:
[snip]
Can I pinch back the runners on some of the vines so they don't smother
my whole garden? It's just one plant, but it's growing several feet per
day in all directions. I don't want to kill it, but I need to slow it
down a little in a few directions.

No harm in pruning a few of the runners to control its habit.

David Hare-Scott 19-07-2006 06:30 AM

Can I prune a squash vine?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
A volunteer squash plant in my garden is outproducing the squash that I
planted; I may pull up the planted ones to make room for it.
(seriously) But the volunteer is running like a pumpkin vine -- covered
with perfect little yellow straightneck squash.

Can I pinch back the runners on some of the vines so they don't smother
my whole garden? It's just one plant, but it's growing several feet per
day in all directions. I don't want to kill it, but I need to slow it
down a little in a few directions.

Thanks,
Bob

Sure. This is a common technique for those who grow huge curcurbits. I
have a horse who prunes mine when they run under the fence, this is not a
gentle process, and the part remaining inside the fence is fine.

David