Old 30-07-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cucumber and Squash have combined

I think I planted my cucumbers and squash too close together. The
cucumbers are yellowish and are shaped more like summer squash than
cucumbers.

1) Is this a common mistake?
2) Is the food edible?
3) Once they've cross-bred, anything I can do.

A gardener with mutant veggies....

Old 31-07-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

SueB wrote:
I think I planted my cucumbers and squash too close together. The
cucumbers are yellowish and are shaped more like summer squash than
cucumbers.

1) Is this a common mistake?

Not very, but I've heard of it happening. It's as much a function of
the range of your pollinator friends and prevailing breezes as it is of
distance, I'd think.

2) Is the food edible?

Sure, but you get to experiment with how to cook it, or how to dress it
raw in a salad. Have some fun with it. I'd try a quick stirfry, I
think.

3) Once they've cross-bred, anything I can do.

Praise the Lord for this unexpectedly intelligent design. :-) -aem

Old 31-07-2006, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"SueB" wrote:

I think I planted my cucumbers and squash too close together. The
cucumbers are yellowish and are shaped more like summer squash than
cucumbers.

1) Is this a common mistake?

It happens.

2) Is the food edible?

Yep. Had watermelon squash once. Quite tasty once I stopped trying
to catagorize it.

3) Once they've cross-bred, anything I can do.

Keep them from having children?

Look at it this way, you could have crossed your squash with gourds
and had to use a table saw to have dinner.

A gardener with mutant veggies....

They're all mutant if you go back far enough.
Old 31-07-2006, 07:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"SueB" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think I planted my cucumbers and squash too close together. The
cucumbers are yellowish and are shaped more like summer squash than
cucumbers.

1) Is this a common mistake?

Yes

2) Is the food edible?

Maybe. Suck it and see, as the saying goes.

3) Once they've cross-bred, anything I can do.

Goto 2

Steve

Old 31-07-2006, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

SueB wrote:
I think I planted my cucumbers and squash too close together. The
cucumbers are yellowish and are shaped more like summer squash than
cucumbers.

1) Is this a common mistake?
2) Is the food edible?
3) Once they've cross-bred, anything I can do.

A gardener with mutant veggies....

Whoa:
1. Cucumbers and squash do not cross. Even if they did, the cross is
in the seeds, so it does not show until the next generation.
2. Most likely. If you planted mixed seeds. It could be be the growing
conditions. Do you know what cultivar, you supposedly planted. There
are several yellow cucumbers in the edible stage and most turn yellow
or orange when they form seeds.
3. Don't save seeds.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"SueB" wrote in news:1154290490.834391.25740
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I think I planted my cucumbers and squash too close together. The
cucumbers are yellowish and are shaped more like summer squash than
cucumbers.

1) Is this a common mistake?

Yes, thinking that cucumbers and squash have crossed because they look
funny is a very common mistake. Cucumbers (Cucumis sativa) and squash
(Cucurbita melo and other species) do not cross-pollinate. And for the
varieties of melon or squash that do cross-pollinate, it only affects the
seeds and the plants they will grow into. After all, if your black poodle
is impregnated by a white poodle, she doesn't turn grey. Only the puppies
are affected.

2) Is the food edible?

Try it and see.

3) Once they've cross-bred, anything I can do.

Don't save the seeds for next year if you have any questions.

A gardener with mutant veggies....