GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   HastaGro? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/148448-hastagro.html)

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 06-08-2006 08:54 PM

HastaGro?

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Pat Kiewicz 07-08-2006 12:04 PM

HastaGro?

OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????

Nope. But I use and recommend Osmocote (or a similar controlled-release
fertilizer) for potted and bedding plants.

I use compost, alfalfa meal, Espoma products and Maxicrop (a kelp spray)
in the veggie garden.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Penelope Periwinkle 07-08-2006 01:54 PM

HastaGro?

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 06:04:09 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

alfalfa meal

Hmmm.

google, google, google

Ah!

Thanks Pat, I've learned something new today.

ALFALFA MEAL (3N-lP-2K)

Alfalfa meal or pellets is one of the green manure crops and
contains small amounts of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium which
feed the plant. However, the biggest benefit of alfalfa is from the
work it does in the soil. Alfalfa contains the hormone, Triacontanol,
a plant growth regulator. Alfalfa meal can be top dressed and watered
in. But quicker benefits are had when alfalfa is brewed into a tea.
The primary boost comes from the millions of microbes in the fermented
meal that activate the soil organisms that then convert nutrients into
forms available to plants. Roses love it. Only apply alfalfa to the
surface. If placed in the root zone, the rapid decomposition of
alfalfa will generate heat which can damage the roots.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 07-08-2006 03:19 PM

HastaGro?

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????

Nope. But I use and recommend Osmocote (or a similar controlled-release
fertilizer) for potted and bedding plants.

I use compost, alfalfa meal, Espoma products and Maxicrop (a kelp spray)
in the veggie garden.

I think Hastagro is kelp based?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

simy1 07-08-2006 07:09 PM

HastaGro?

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Alfalfa meal or pellets is one of the green manure crops and
contains small amounts of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium which
feed the plant. However, the biggest benefit of alfalfa is from the
work it does in the soil. Alfalfa contains the hormone, Triacontanol,
a plant growth regulator. Alfalfa meal can be top dressed and watered
in. But quicker benefits are had when alfalfa is brewed into a tea.
The primary boost comes from the millions of microbes in the fermented
meal that activate the soil organisms that then convert nutrients into
forms available to plants. Roses love it. Only apply alfalfa to the
surface. If placed in the root zone, the rapid decomposition of
alfalfa will generate heat which can damage the roots.

Is the alfalfa meal substantially better than alfalfa which has gone
through a cow's digestion (manure)?

Penelope Periwinkle 07-08-2006 09:20 PM

HastaGro?

On 7 Aug 2006 11:09:09 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

Is the alfalfa meal substantially better than alfalfa which has gone
through a cow's digestion (manure)?

I don't know. I didn't know about alfalfa meal at all until this
morning. I suspect it's a matter of when you add it, and what you're
growing.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

cloud dreamer[_1_] 15-08-2006 02:11 PM

HastaGro?

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????

Never heard of HastaGro. What was the problem with MG? I know it comes
in a variety of NPK. My neighbour was using the one for the lawn (with a
high N number) and couldn't understand why it wasn't helping some of the
veggies (all growth, little fruit).

..

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 15-08-2006 04:30 PM

HastaGro?

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????

Never heard of HastaGro. What was the problem with MG? I know it comes
in a variety of NPK. My neighbour was using the one for the lawn (with a
high N number) and couldn't understand why it wasn't helping some of the
veggies (all growth, little fruit).

..

It does not last long... and it's easy to over-do it.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson