GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unknown squash/pumpkin (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/148767-unknown-squash-pumpkin.html)

mag 16-08-2006 08:37 PM

Unknown squash/pumpkin

I planted 3 Rouge pumpkins, 3 New England pie pumpkins, 3 "Sweet Mama
Buttercup" squash, an acorn squash, a butternut squash, and 3 yellow
hybrid zucchinis in a manure pile in my garden. The vines have gone
crazy and it's hard to tell what's what. I ended up harvesting a small
yellow squash/pumpkin and have no idea what it is! It is 5-6" across,
yellow (waxy looking) with small green lines, and has a cup-like end
where the blossom was. Is this just and immmature pumpkin? Previous
pumpkins I've grown were green then orange. Picked it four days ago and
it has maintained its yellow color? Could it be a cross? Does this small
fruit sound redognizable to anyone? Thanks. mag

[email protected] 17-08-2006 05:57 PM

Unknown squash/pumpkin

Not from from your seed lists, buttrecups have a pronouced blossom
scar that could be described as cup like, but Sweet Mama is a dark
green cultivar. The zucchini could be round,( One Ball or Floridor) but
most of them are long and slender.