Old 19-08-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Shallot Preserve

I'm looking for ways other than drying to preserve shallots and garlic.
I find that a certain percentage of my annual harvest dries up to the
point of empty paperlike husks by the following spring. Thought that by
drying some and preserving the remainder I might avoid the waste
entirely and open up some other culinary avenues as well.

So how do you do it, just put the entire bulbs in the freezer, or do you
chop them and put them up in jars of vinegar, or what?

Thanks,

J.
Old 19-08-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

John wrote:

I'm looking for ways other than drying to preserve shallots and garlic.
I find that a certain percentage of my annual harvest dries up to the
point of empty paperlike husks by the following spring. Thought that by
drying some and preserving the remainder I might avoid the waste
entirely and open up some other culinary avenues as well.

So how do you do it, just put the entire bulbs in the freezer, or do you
chop them and put them up in jars of vinegar, or what?

Thanks,

J.

Gently sautee them in oil (olive, grapeseed, whatever), and then
freeze the oil/shallot/garlic mixture in small zip-lock bags for use
in foods. Shallots go in the oil first, then the garlic only gets a
touch of heat - otherwise it goes bitter. Don't put the hot mixture
in the bags - it should cool first.
Old 20-08-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

John wrote:
I'm looking for ways other than drying to preserve shallots and garlic.
I find that a certain percentage of my annual harvest dries up to the
point of empty paperlike husks by the following spring. Thought that by
drying some and preserving the remainder I might avoid the waste
entirely and open up some other culinary avenues as well.

So how do you do it, just put the entire bulbs in the freezer, or do you
chop them and put them up in jars of vinegar, or what?

Thanks,

J.

You might be keeping them in the house, which is too warm and dry in
the winter. Try the garage. My garlic and multiplier onions last until
the garlic shoots are ready in march, and could clearly last longer
than that.

Old 20-08-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:05:40 -0400, John wrote:

I'm looking for ways other than drying to preserve shallots and garlic.
I find that a certain percentage of my annual harvest dries up to the
point of empty paperlike husks by the following spring. Thought that by
drying some and preserving the remainder I might avoid the waste
entirely and open up some other culinary avenues as well.

So how do you do it, just put the entire bulbs in the freezer, or do you
chop them and put them up in jars of vinegar, or what?

Thanks,

J.

I just pulled some Dutch yellow shallots that I planted last fall here
in Ohio. The planting stock was pulled not last year, but the year
before. I'm amazed how long this variety keeps. They were stored in a
room that's not even a true basement that gets fairly warm in summer.