Old 23-08-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New Mexico Chile Peppers

I just bought 10 pounds of roasted Hatch, NM chile peppers. These look like
the Anaheim peppers we grow here in Texas, but are much larger and tastier.
We also bought several pounds of fresh peppers and I am wondering about
taking the seeds and planting them here next year. Any advice?

Old 23-08-2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jim Ferguson wrote:
I just bought 10 pounds of roasted Hatch, NM chile peppers. These look like
the Anaheim peppers we grow here in Texas, but are much larger and tastier.
We also bought several pounds of fresh peppers and I am wondering about
taking the seeds and planting them here next year. Any advice?

Take the seeds out of the chiles, lay the seeds on a paper towel for a
couple of days, put into a paper envelope to save, mark the variety on
the envelope, put into a sealable plastic container and plant when
ready. I plant chiles directly into the ground once the soil reaches 70F
and they do about as well as those started under lights. HTH

George