GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My pumpkins keep setting fruit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/149032-my-pumpkins-keep-setting-fruit.html)

Jon Shemitz 25-08-2006 12:14 AM

My pumpkins keep setting fruit

I'm growing pumpkins (for Halloween) in my corn. I picked a
particularly spready variety this year (Johnny's "Expert") and it
keeps setting new fruit. I keep picking the babies and chucking them
in the compost, so that I'll get a few big pumpkins instead of a bunch
of little ones.

Are baby pumpkins tasty? Can I substitute them for squash in various
summer stews, or would I just be wasting good tomatoes and corn?

--

..NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers www.midnightbeach.com/.net
Delphi skills make .NET easy to learn In print, in stores.

George Shirley 25-08-2006 01:40 AM

My pumpkins keep setting fruit

Pumpkins are squash. Try cooking a few and eat them like sauteed squash
before you mix them in with other veggies.

George

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 25-08-2006 03:31 AM

My pumpkins keep setting fruit

In article ,
Jon Shemitz wrote:

I'm growing pumpkins (for Halloween) in my corn. I picked a
particularly spready variety this year (Johnny's "Expert") and it
keeps setting new fruit. I keep picking the babies and chucking them
in the compost, so that I'll get a few big pumpkins instead of a bunch
of little ones.

Are baby pumpkins tasty? Can I substitute them for squash in various
summer stews, or would I just be wasting good tomatoes and corn?

YES!!! :-)

My mom introduced me to baby pumpkins as a veggie.
They are mild and delicious! We ate them green about the size of
baseballs.

Please report when you try them? :-)

We just sliced and steamed them, and served them with a bit of lemon
butter...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Jon Shemitz 25-08-2006 06:18 PM

My pumpkins keep setting fruit

My mom introduced me to baby pumpkins as a veggie.
They are mild and delicious! We ate them green about the size of
baseballs.

Thanks.

Please report when you try them? :-)

Perhaps so.

We just sliced and steamed them, and served them with a bit of lemon
butter...

Ugh! I don't really like squash qua squash. It's OK as a texture in a
stew, though.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 25-08-2006 08:30 PM

Jon Shemitz wrote:

My mom introduced me to baby pumpkins as a veggie.
They are mild and delicious! We ate them green about the size of
baseballs.

Thanks.

Please report when you try them? :-)

Perhaps so.

We just sliced and steamed them, and served them with a bit of lemon
butter...

Ugh! I don't really like squash qua squash. It's OK as a texture in a
stew, though.

Whatever works for you. :-)

IMHO they are very similar in taste/texture to zuchinni but a bit milder
in flavor. I was delighted with them, but I _like_ squash. G

I never got around to trying them fried, but I like other summer
squashes that way. Sliced about 1/4" thick and lightly treated with an
egg wash and spiced flour, then fried in your choice of oils in a
skillet. Ours was butter and olive oil.

Cheers!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Dwayne 26-08-2006 12:34 AM

My pumpkins keep setting fruit

"Jon Shemitz" wrote in message

Pick them small, before the seeds develop, wash them, slice them and roll
them in flour. Then fry them. I think you are going to be surprised. They
have the texture of a fried squash, but the taste of pumpkin.

Dwayne