GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fifteen year old Okra seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/149142-fifteen-year-old-okra-seeds.html)

zxcvbob 28-08-2006 03:23 PM

Fifteen year old Okra seeds

While cleaning in my basement this weekend (a traumatic thing to do cuz
I'm a packrat) I found a jar of okra seeds that I saved about 15 years
ago. Maybe 16 or 17 years, but less than 20. I started to throw them
out, but I was curious if they might still be viable. So I took about a
dozen seeds and soaked them overnight (didn't look promising, half of
them were still floating the next morning) and then wrapped them up in a
damp paper towel. When I peeked at them this morning, most of them were
already sprouted -- that's less than 48 hours.

They are telling me that I need to plant okra next year.

Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 28-08-2006 05:25 PM

Fifteen year old Okra seeds

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

While cleaning in my basement this weekend (a traumatic thing to do cuz
I'm a packrat) I found a jar of okra seeds that I saved about 15 years
ago. Maybe 16 or 17 years, but less than 20. I started to throw them
out, but I was curious if they might still be viable. So I took about a
dozen seeds and soaked them overnight (didn't look promising, half of
them were still floating the next morning) and then wrapped them up in a
damp paper towel. When I peeked at them this morning, most of them were
already sprouted -- that's less than 48 hours.

They are telling me that I need to plant okra next year.

Bob

Cool beans... :-)

Speaking of which, you are aware that bean seeds found in archeological
digs 1,000 years old still sprout on occasion.......

A little water is always cheap to see if seeds are viable.

Well done!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

George Shirley 28-08-2006 06:43 PM

Fifteen year old Okra seeds

zxcvbob wrote:
While cleaning in my basement this weekend (a traumatic thing to do cuz
I'm a packrat) I found a jar of okra seeds that I saved about 15 years
ago. Maybe 16 or 17 years, but less than 20. I started to throw them
out, but I was curious if they might still be viable. So I took about a
dozen seeds and soaked them overnight (didn't look promising, half of
them were still floating the next morning) and then wrapped them up in a
damp paper towel. When I peeked at them this morning, most of them were
already sprouted -- that's less than 48 hours.

They are telling me that I need to plant okra next year.

Bob

Not really Bob. We have three okra plants that are really producing and
I've already frozen a years supply. Swing by on your next trip home and
I'll load you up. VBG

George

Sammy Shuford 30-08-2006 09:59 PM

Fifteen year old Okra seeds

Just started some seeds in the ground for a fall crop, came up in three
days.

Now, how to pickle them.

George Shirley 31-08-2006 02:35 AM

Fifteen year old Okra seeds

Go online for some good okra pickle recipes. Personally I wouldn't touch
an okra pickle with someone else's fork. Never did like them any way but
in a gumbo or fried.

George

neilbrrian 19-05-2011 07:25 PM

I started to bandy them out, but I was analytical if they ability still be viable. So I took about a dozen seeds and blood-soaked them brief (didn't attending promising, bisected of them were still amphibian the next morning) and again captivated them up in a damp cardboard towel. When I peeked at them this morning, a lot of of them were already sprouted -- that's beneath than 48 hours.

minubilly 25-05-2011 12:45 AM

Go online for some acceptable okra bind recipes. Personally I wouldn't touch an okra bind with anyone else's fork. Never did like them any way but in a borsch or fried.