Old 30-08-2006, 10:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone use coffee grinds for your garden?

"The Cat Whisperer" wrote in message
Would grinds be good for my tomato plants??

"Compostman" wrote in message

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message
James wrote:

A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

From what I've read, you can add it to the garden or compost heap. They
apparently add nitrogen, so I wouldn't use them directly on vegetables,
but I would use them on my flowers - especially the acid loving ones. I
read one comment somewhere that slugs don't like coffee grinds but

worms
do....a perfect match.

I collect about 15 pounds of coffee grounds per day from the Starbucks 3
blocks away. I compost most of it, but also through it on the flower
beds. Coffee grounds are close to pH neutral (the acid in coffee is very
solvent and goes in the drink). They contain nitrogen, but not enough

cause any hard, but enough so that you don't have to worry about the
grounds robbing your soil of nitrogen while it decomposes.

Also, it makes the yard smell interesting.

they are great in compost as they heat up quickly and are very fine which
helps for quick breakdown. Treat them like grass clippings when mixing in
and adding carbon and you should be fine.

Used grounds have a NPK around 3-1-2 according to test results I have seen
(though different claims are made) so this should be a rough guide if you
use them as a fertiliser if you want to be particular about applying them to
plants. I use them on my lawn as a fertiliser and apply them by ratio as for
other organic manure based fertilisers (eg if the lawn fertiliser is 6-2-4
then I would use double the amount of coffee grounds on the application or
apply 2 feeds as opposed to one for the 6-2-4). Best dry them first to stop
clumping together.

They can be spread directly on fallow beds to provide some nutrition and
organic matter to the soil. I have some raised gardens I have built up for
planting veges late in spring. I have sprinkled coffee grounds on them to be
slowly worked in to the soil. I haven't used any direct measure, just
applied from time to time as the grounds break down. I also apply them as a
thin mulch/fertiliser over existing beds and will add from time to time as
they decay. I apply a layer roughly no more than 2-3 cms. As they decay
fairly slowly they act as a slow release fertiliser so the chances of giving
your plants an unsustainable concentrated hit of nutrients is minimised. It
will also encourage worms to come visiting and build up your soil structure
if it is lacking.

I also use coffee grounds as a mulch with saw dust or prunings under hedges
or around trees to kill off weeds and grass. With the saw dust I reckon 2-3
times the smount of coffee grounds as per saw dust should minimise the saw
dust leaching nitrogen from your soil.

There must be a million uses round the garden and the grounds come free. The
ph neutral bit is comforting as I read something recently which said they
were acidic. If in doubt I guess throw them through a simple ph test and see
what the results are.

rob

Old 01-09-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Old 01-09-2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

From what I've read, you can add it to the garden or compost heap. They
apparently add nitrogen, so I wouldn't use them directly on vegetables,
but I would use them on my flowers - especially the acid loving ones. I
read one comment somewhere that slugs don't like coffee grinds but worms
do....a perfect match.

I collect about 15 pounds of coffee grounds per day from the Starbucks 3
blocks away. I compost most of it, but also through it on the flower beds.
Coffee grounds are close to pH neutral (the acid in coffee is very solvent
and goes in the drink). They contain nitrogen, but not enough to cause any
hard, but enough so that you don't have to worry about the grounds robbing
your soil of nitrogen while it decomposes.

Also, it makes the yard smell interesting.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 01-09-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

From what I've read, you can add it to the garden or compost heap. They
apparently add nitrogen, so I wouldn't use them directly on vegetables,
but I would use them on my flowers - especially the acid loving ones. I
read one comment somewhere that slugs don't like coffee grinds but worms
do....a perfect match.

I collect about 15 pounds of coffee grounds per day from the Starbucks 3
blocks away. I compost most of it, but also through it on the flower
beds. Coffee grounds are close to pH neutral (the acid in coffee is very
solvent and goes in the drink). They contain nitrogen, but not enough to

Old 01-09-2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I just put them in the garden as is. They are a small source of nitrogen
and also loosen the soil somewhat. Alternatively you can compost them.

George

Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
James wrote:
A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm suspicious about using with corn, whether composted
or direct. My corn was really stunted last year -- with small but direct application
to the soil; and less stunted this year with some that had been composted.

Hopefully next year's garden will demonstrate whether this was due to the coffee
or some other unintended circumstance.

-frank
Old 01-09-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank Miles wrote:
In article . com,
James wrote:

A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm suspicious about using with corn, whether composted
or direct. My corn was really stunted last year -- with small but direct application
to the soil; and less stunted this year with some that had been composted.

Hopefully next year's garden will demonstrate whether this was due to the coffee
or some other unintended circumstance.

-frank

One thing to remember about coffee grounds is that they are acidic. If
your soil is already acidic you may need to add a little lime if you use
a lot of grounds.

George

Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

I use them as mulch under my strawberries - they like it and the slugs
and potato bugs don't. I also use it in areas in my lawn where the dog's
have murdered the grass, and it seems to help decrease the eternal
spread of bare spots, and allowed others to fill in. Before I did this,
my lawn was a lunar landscape. They are not acid as you might expect,
and they are loaded with trace minerals, and break down pretty quickly,
so I just dump 'em, without paper filters, of course!

Old 02-09-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Frank Miles wrote:
In article . com,
James wrote:

A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm suspicious about using with corn, whether
composted
or direct. My corn was really stunted last year -- with small but direct
application
to the soil; and less stunted this year with some that had been
composted.

Hopefully next year's garden will demonstrate whether this was due to the
coffee
or some other unintended circumstance.

-frank

One thing to remember about coffee grounds is that they are acidic. If
your soil is already acidic you may need to add a little lime if you use a
lot of grounds.

George

This is not true. Coffee are close to pH neutral. People assume that
because coffee is acidic, then the grounds are as well, but that's not true.
The acid in coffee beans is very water soluble, leaving the grounds with
very little acid remaining.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

What's your choice between horse apples, cow pies, and used coffee?

Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
What's your choice between horse apples, cow pies, and used coffee?

I vote for the coffee grounds.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 07-09-2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
Agree, no weed seeds.
Steve
"Compostman" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
groups.com...

What's your choice between horse apples, cow pies, and used coffee?

I vote for the coffee grounds.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Agreed, too. And coffee smells a hell of a lot better.