GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   radishes ready ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/149325-radishes-ready.html)

terryd 03-09-2006 11:07 AM

radishes ready ?

How can i tell when my radishes are ready to pull. I only have about a dozen in a tub so can't afford to get it wrong. They have shot up and have a load of big green leaves at the moment.

Thanks

shazzbat 03-09-2006 12:21 PM

radishes ready ?

"terryd" wrote in message

How can i tell when my radishes are ready to pull. I only have about a
dozen in a tub so can't afford to get it wrong. They have shot up and
have a load of big green leaves at the moment.

Thanks

There's always a bit of a gamble with crops below ground, particularly
radishes which have a habit of making a convincing plant but an unconvincing
root.

Gently push some of the soil away from where the plant meets the soil, and
you should be able to see if it's a thickish root, and if the shoulder of it
looks broad enough, pull it. Do you know what variety they are, and when
they were sown?

Steve

James 03-09-2006 03:46 PM

radishes ready ?

Usually you can see the radish above the soil. This year the batch
that got the most fertilizer got great looking tops but no radishes.
Some of the sad looking tops had pretty good radishes.

mr p. 05-09-2006 01:21 AM

radishes ready ?

terryd wrote:

How can i tell when my radishes are ready to pull. I only have about a
dozen in a tub so can't afford to get it wrong. They have shot up and
have a load of big green leaves at the moment.

Thanks

lemme get this right, you grew 12 radishes?

Plant more seeds then you can mush the soil around to see the root buld
as it develops. Also, when you grow say, one row of radishes it's easy
to see them develop and know when to pick.
regards,