Old 14-04-2003, 08:44 PM
clc

Default Unbelievable Spinach!

Here in Z5 (Central IL), we planted some spinach late last fall hoping to
get a couple of pickings before it turned bad. Well, the stuff didn't even
get big enough to pick so we just left it. Even with temps below zero
several times this winter, the darned stuff started growing again once it
started warming up. Hubby picked some last night and we had it for dinner.
Couldn't even tell it had just sat there all winter long..
Cheryl

Old 15-04-2003, 06:56 PM
simy1

"clc" wrote in message ...
Here in Z5 (Central IL), we planted some spinach late last fall hoping to
get a couple of pickings before it turned bad. Well, the stuff didn't even
get big enough to pick so we just left it. Even with temps below zero
several times this winter, the darned stuff started growing again once it
started warming up. Hubby picked some last night and we had it for dinner.
Couldn't even tell it had just sat there all winter long..
Cheryl

Yep, I do that all the time with a variety of greens. I have had a
couple of salads so far, but in a normal year I would already be
eating out of the garden. Lettuce, radicchio, arugula, chard, tatsoi,
collard and kale. Greens are very hardy. It was a very cold winter in
SE MI with temperatures dropping below zero at least ten times. Some
of the plants on the outer side of beds got killed but most survived.
Old 15-04-2003, 07:56 PM
clc

"FDR" wrote in message
What variety?