Old 12-09-2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Apple Tree Grafting- Last Season's growth

I am preparing to graft for this first time next spring. I am
researching various articles on the subject. One point which I would
greatly like clarification is how to distinguish "last season's growth"
from older growth.

A little background:

I have been admiring an old crab apple tree in a nearby park for some
time. The apples make great jelly. I have a young (2-3 years?) crab
apple tree in my yard purchased this year. I want to graft scions from
the old tree onto the new one.

Thanks

Robert

Old 13-09-2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I agree with James on recognizing new growth. The color is usually a light
green and
is easily spotted at the end of the branches. One thing to look for is the
largest diameter wood you can find on both the scion and the tree to be grafted
upon. Try to match these diameters as closely as possible, as this will give
you the most chance for a good cambium (living layer just under the bark)
contact to insure the graft will
take.

Sherwin D.

James wrote:

wrote:
I am preparing to graft for this first time next spring. I am
researching various articles on the subject. One point which I would
greatly like clarification is how to distinguish "last season's growth"
from older growth.

A little background:

I have been admiring an old crab apple tree in a nearby park for some
time. The apples make great jelly. I have a young (2-3 years?) crab
apple tree in my yard purchased this year. I want to graft scions from
the old tree onto the new one.

Thanks

Robert

I guess it would be the ring around the twig or branch. The bark color
may be different on either side of the ring. My problem with grafting
is trying to get a good smooth cut on both parts so they fit nicely.
I've had success with pear bud grafting. The bark is very easy to cut
in the spring and you can slip in a bud without difficulty. If you're
having problem with the bark you're probably cutting it at the wrong
time. When the sap is running and growth is fast, the bark almost just
slips off.

You might also try taking cuttings and try rooting them.

Interesting Apple Tree Grafting Video Jon[_9_] United Kingdom 1 20-06-2009 02:25 PM
Grafting apple trees Andrea Jones United Kingdom 5 02-02-2009 07:25 PM
Grafting an old apple tree Chris Potts United Kingdom 5 10-01-2007 02:47 PM
apple tree grafting Loretta Australia 10 26-07-2005 01:24 AM
Colorado Blue Spruce Growth Season TheGreatWarrior Gardening 1 06-07-2005 06:14 AM