Old 16-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Ace

Default Peach tree - too much (!) fruit ---- I too have this problem.

I have the same problem. My tree is self pollinating and my peaches never
get any bigger than a small Plum. It bears heavily every year. I pruned it a
lot this winter and still the tree this Spring is loaded with flowers. I
sure wish I could get some decent sized fruit.

"Polar" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:19:03 GMT, "Sigurd Kallhovde"
wrote:

I have a young peach tree (Durzano Eva's Pride variety, Prunus Persica)
that simply produces too much fruit. This causes each piece of fruit to
develop unsatisfactorily, as well as branch breakage. The tree is only
about 8-10' tall at this point, and I can modify fruit production by
pinching off blooms and small fruit, but as the tree grows, this will no
longer be an option.

Why not?

Is the tree likely to moderate its fruit production as it matures? If

not,
what can I do to reduce the number of fruits it wants to carry?

I am based in San Diego, Cal.

Hah! Memory lane. My late peach tree was the same. Bore so profusely I
had to thin hard. Yes, right through the life of the tree. Got good
at climbing up there and thinning.

You can't reduce fruiting, AFAIK, so get used to thinning, and be glad
the situation isn't the reverse.

--
Polar

Old 16-04-2003, 04:44 PM
George Shirley

Even the self pollinators do better with a pollinator nearby. Might work
to get bigger fruit. Mine always has fruit about the size of two golf
balls so I think I need another tree too.

George