Old 11-12-2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Scuppernong care

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if scuppernong vines are salt tolerant.

I recently returned to the land where my grandmother had lived in South
Carolina. As I was tromping through the trees and brambles that have
grown up over the decades, I was delighted to come upon the old
scuppernong vine and finding it still alive. The frame that it had grown
upon had fallen around it. As a child, I had enjoyed the grapes dangling
off of the frame. You could walk beneath it, and it was like a cave
created from vines.

I dug up some of the vines that had touched the ground and started to
take root in the soil. I brought it back to my home in Florida to try
and keep a piece of my family history alive (plus the delicious fruit).
My parents live in central Florida, but I live on the coast. I gave them
a piece to try and root, and I brought some here. It's sometimes
difficult to grow things in the sandy soil and salt air, so I became
concerned, but was unable to find much information on it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, even if it means taking
all the cutting inland to my parents' house. Thank you.

Sue
Old 11-12-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:39:29 -0500, Wind River
wrote:

[...]

They grow in the eastern part of North Carolina, but I am not sure
about the coast. Around here (western NC) you stick them in the
ground and leave them alone. You can train them, but they require
little extra care.
--
Susan N.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

My grandmother lived about 50 miles inland from Charleston, and the vine
thrived. Hopefully, the little care will mean it'll do okay here. Thank
you for the info.

Sue

Free Akebia vine to a good home (or bad, I don't care) Brian & Mary Bigler Gardening 11 11-05-2010 06:36 PM
Garden Gnomes care about the environment? Obviously not! Take legal action against fishing groups, under the duty of care rule. Brian[_9_] United Kingdom 0 07-02-2007 09:01 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Care Tips for your Bonsai #3 - spring (LONG!) Mark Hill Bonsai 9 11-02-2003 07:25 AM
[IBC] care tips 3 Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 04:37 PM
[IBC] Care Tips for your Bonsai #3 - spring (LONG!) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:01 AM