GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato Salvage? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/151869-tomato-salvage.html)

[email protected] 28-12-2006 09:46 PM

Tomato Salvage?

Hi,

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Anyway, one tomato plant had a section broken off of the top.
The detached piece is maybe five inches of the central stem, with
some leaves.

If I put it in a glass of water, can it start growing roots?

Is the main plant likely to regenerate, or to bypass growth
around the injury? Especially considering that it was the
central stem that got broken?

Thanks...

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

Salmon Egg 28-12-2006 10:55 PM

Tomato Salvage?

On 12/28/06 1:46 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Anyway, one tomato plant had a section broken off of the top.
The detached piece is maybe five inches of the central stem, with
some leaves.

If I put it in a glass of water, can it start growing roots?

Is the main plant likely to regenerate, or to bypass growth
around the injury? Especially considering that it was the
central stem that got broken?

Thanks...

Try it. Otherwise you will never know. Try using a dilute nutrient solution.
Maybe try a rooting hormone.

Bill
-- Fermez le Bush

Dick Adams 29-12-2006 02:25 AM

Tomato Salvage?

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Where are you that the wind is so bad? Is this abnormal?

Anyway, one tomato plant had a section broken off of the top.
The detached piece is maybe five inches of the central stem, with
some leaves.

If I put it in a glass of water, can it start growing roots?

Go for it. It's your best option.

Is the main plant likely to regenerate, or to bypass growth
around the injury? Especially considering that it was the
central stem that got broken?

My peppers did.

Dick

George.com 29-12-2006 08:43 AM

Tomato Salvage?

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Where are you that the wind is so bad?
Is this abnormal?

anywhere in new zealand on the western side most likely.

For western NZ no, unfortunately.

rob

Dick Adams 29-12-2006 01:44 PM

Tomato Salvage?

George.com wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
Someone wrote:

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Where are you that the wind is so bad?
Is this abnormal?

anywhere in new zealand on the western side most likely.
For western NZ no, unfortunately.

Then a wind break is needed.

Dick

Omelet 29-12-2006 02:29 PM

Tomato Salvage?

In article ,
Salmon Egg wrote:

On 12/28/06 1:46 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Anyway, one tomato plant had a section broken off of the top.
The detached piece is maybe five inches of the central stem, with
some leaves.

If I put it in a glass of water, can it start growing roots?

Is the main plant likely to regenerate, or to bypass growth
around the injury? Especially considering that it was the
central stem that got broken?

Thanks...

Try it. Otherwise you will never know. Try using a dilute nutrient solution.
Maybe try a rooting hormone.

Bill
-- Fermez le Bush

And spritz the top with a sprayer a few times a week.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

George.com 29-12-2006 03:17 PM

Tomato Salvage?

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
Someone wrote:

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Where are you that the wind is so bad?
Is this abnormal?

anywhere in new zealand on the western side most likely.
For western NZ no, unfortunately.

Then a wind break is needed.

we get that Dick, february and march we get a break from the wind. It comes
back though.

rob

Dick Adams 30-12-2006 03:41 AM

Tomato Salvage?

George.com wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
George.com wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
Someone wrote:

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Where are you that the wind is so bad?
Is this abnormal?

anywhere in new zealand on the western side most likely.
For western NZ no, unfortunately.

Then a wind break is needed.

We get that Dick, february and march we get a break from the wind.
It comes back though.

Clever response!

I should have written a wind barrier. My garden has a house on the
north lines of trees about 60 ft (19 meters) way on the other sides.

Dick

George.com 30-12-2006 10:40 AM

Tomato Salvage?

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
George.com wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
Someone wrote:

I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we are one month into summer
now. But there has been a lot of wind here over the past few
months, seriously thrashing the garden.

Where are you that the wind is so bad?
Is this abnormal?

anywhere in new zealand on the western side most likely.
For western NZ no, unfortunately.

Then a wind break is needed.

We get that Dick, february and march we get a break from the wind.
It comes back though.

Clever response!

I should have written a wind barrier. My garden has a house on the
north lines of trees about 60 ft (19 meters) way on the other sides.

yeah, I knew what you meant. Mine was a sarcastic remark aimed at the very
moderate summer (I think we had it tuesday) we have had so far, wind,
drizzle and very moderate temperatures. We had frosts down south just before
christmas and temperatures for NY eve low to mid teens in areas it should be
mid 20's upwards.

rob