GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seeds, Seeds, Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/151892-seeds-seeds-seeds.html)

Kimberly 30-12-2006 01:08 AM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Would you all like to share where you get your seeds? Favorite websites
and/or catalogs?

Kimberly

gonzo 30-12-2006 03:08 AM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

My own recent interest in open pollinated varieties, some heirloom,
have led me to Seed Savers Exchange:
http://seedsavers.org/Home.asp

These guys currently get the lions share of business from me, just this
year I purchased a membership. I believe their work is important, in
preserving heirlooms, maintaning a vigil against genetic modification.

I've purchased from Johnnys Select Seeds, lots of variety. Prices seem
to have gone up faster than inflation recently..

Burpee occaissionally.

Jungs because they seem to have consistantly lower costs - but
sometimes you get what you pay for.

Thompson & Morgan, they sometimes have varieties not available
elsewhere.

Gurneys, that discount can be pretty good if they carry something you
wanted to get anyways, like fruit trees or grapes..

How about yourself?

[email protected] 30-12-2006 05:33 AM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:08:12 -0500, "Kimberly"
wrote:

Would you all like to share where you get your seeds? Favorite websites
and/or catalogs?

Kimberly

Here's where we get the majority of our seeds.

www.kingsseeds.co.nz
http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

James 01-01-2007 01:08 AM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Kimberly wrote:
Would you all like to share where you get your seeds? Favorite websites
and/or catalogs?

Kimberly

I don't buy seeds. Some seeds I save but every year I just plant the
excess my fellow community gardeners started. People who start their
own seeds usually have tons of extras that they're happy to go anywhere
except the compost pile.

Kimberly 01-01-2007 04:24 PM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

"gonzo" wrote in message
ups.com...
| My own recent interest in open pollinated varieties, some heirloom,
| have led me to Seed Savers Exchange:
| http://seedsavers.org/Home.asp
|
| These guys currently get the lions share of business from me, just this
| year I purchased a membership. I believe their work is important, in
| preserving heirlooms, maintaning a vigil against genetic modification.
|
| I've purchased from Johnnys Select Seeds, lots of variety. Prices seem
| to have gone up faster than inflation recently..
|
| Burpee occaissionally.
|
| Jungs because they seem to have consistantly lower costs - but
| sometimes you get what you pay for.
|
| Thompson & Morgan, they sometimes have varieties not available
| elsewhere.
|
| Gurneys, that discount can be pretty good if they carry something you
| wanted to get anyways, like fruit trees or grapes..
|
| How about yourself?

Well I get them locally from the farmer's supply store or Home Depot or
Wal-mart. I always bought tomato plants but last year (haha) I used some
seeds I'd gotten from somewhere and they did so well that I had the best
year ever for tomatoes. That's why I decided to just do seeds this year. I
never buy okra seeds, which is my biggest crop.

I have noticed that changing just a few little things makes a huge
difference in the outcome. Some are in my control and some are not so
trying different things makes for more success. I thought I would find out
where others are getting their seeds.

Just in case anyone is interested. I'm in Zone 7b. At least I was before
the changes. Now I think I'm firmly in Zone 8 in Georgia. All the
terminology and Zone stuff isn't something I've studied in depth. I just
know how to grow things. :) It's fun to save seeds so I save the ones that
are easily saved.

Thanks for asking. You gave very good information, thanks for that also.

Kimberly

Nyssa 01-01-2007 04:32 PM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Kimberly wrote:

Would you all like to share where you get your seeds? Favorite websites
and/or catalogs?

I tend to get most of mine through three different suppliers:

Pinetree Seeds
Smaller packets, so less cost per packet. I've got a fairly
small garden, so I don't need huge amounts of each seed. This
way I also get to try more varieties. This is my main supplier.
http://www.superseeds.com

Kitazawa Seeds
My choice for Asian varieties. Not a huge collection, but
quality. I only get a few favorite varieties since I'm the
only one in my aquaintance who likes Asian vegetables. One
exception is a variety of green onions that *everybody*
likes - Evergreen White Nebuka.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com

John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds
Several gourmet varieties of seeds I like that are hard
to find elsewhere. I usually only get 10-12 packets each
year from them. I like their Ambition Shallots. They've
got several collections for specific purposes such as
Summer Salad Garden and the like. Nice way to try some
new varieties along with old favorites.
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com

I used to buy quite a bit from Park's but have cut back
to just a few varieties like their burpless cucumber.
I got their catalog this year and will probably make a
small order.

I also stop by a semi-local farm store for bulk items
such as seed potatoes and onion sets and Blue Lake
Bush bean seeds that I tend to buy just before planting
time.

Speaking of catalogs, I must have gotten on someone's
list big time this year. I've been deluged with over
a dozen catalogs from companies I've never bought from
before. It's overwhelming! I've browsed through several
of them, but when you find only one or two varieties
you'd like to use, a lot of your gardening budget ends
up going to multiple shipping and handling fees. So
unless I find something *very* special, I'll be sticking
to my regular suppliers this season.

Happy Gardening!

Nyssa, whose fingers are starting to itch to get into
the seed starting mode

JonquilJan 01-01-2007 09:46 PM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Fedco (Maine)

Excellent prices - good quality - organic and heirloom available.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/index.htm

And also Johnny's

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

And occasionally the old standby Burpee's.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
James wrote in message
ups.com...

Kimberly 03-01-2007 05:36 PM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Thanks, I'm checking these out right now.

Kimberly

Kimberly 03-01-2007 05:37 PM

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Thanks for all the great information. I'm also itching to get started.
Especially since my daffodils are over five inches tall already. It's been
so warm they are confused and are making me confused, too. :)