GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Soil Depth for Raspberries / Currants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/152312-soil-depth-raspberries-currants.html)

Mel[_6_] 15-01-2007 09:21 PM

Soil Depth for Raspberries / Currants

My new allotment was dug up by the council with a massive digger, so there's
lots of debris (boulders, wood boards, etc) buried in the soil. The soil is
very heavy and wet.

Last weekend I started to dig out a trench for raspberries, and holes for
red/white/blackcurrants. After about 1 or 2 spits deep, more often than not
I hit rubbish that took herculean efforts to dig out, and very soon my back
gave up.

I'd planned to dig 2 spits deep and then add manure to the trench. If
there's debris at the 2 spits depth, is it okay to leave it there and hope
the roots find their way around, or does it all have to come out?

Thanks.

simy1 15-01-2007 10:40 PM

Mel wrote:
My new allotment was dug up by the council with a massive digger, so there's
lots of debris (boulders, wood boards, etc) buried in the soil. The soil is
very heavy and wet.

Last weekend I started to dig out a trench for raspberries, and holes for
red/white/blackcurrants. After about 1 or 2 spits deep, more often than not
I hit rubbish that took herculean efforts to dig out, and very soon my back
gave up.

I'd planned to dig 2 spits deep and then add manure to the trench. If
there's debris at the 2 spits depth, is it okay to leave it there and hope
the roots find their way around, or does it all have to come out?

Thanks.

My raspberries are in a place that was formerly a dog run paved with
limestone. Rather than dig the limestone out, I covered with wood chips
and planted. This was in 1996, and they are still going strong. My
guess is that you will be fine.