Old 23-01-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hydroponics

Just Another wrote:
In article ,
(J. David Boyd) wrote:

(Dick Adams) writes:

3) Go buy a gun. You need a permit and the gun has to be registered.

It's been a long time since I purchased a weapon, but is this generally true?
If I go to Walmarts and buy a shotgun, I have to be registered? What about if
I got to a gun show? Or buy from a friend?

Only handguns, and then only from registered gun dealers. Private
purchases, gifts, and inherited handguns are exempt.

In some locales you're also required to demonstrate safe handling
proficiency, too. Here in California you have to show your DOJ (Dept. of
Justice) card, indicating that you paid a dealer to show you how not to
point it at things you don't intend to shoot.

Dave

That depends on the State. Here in NY if you buy a pistol,
you first need to be approved by the police department after
background checks, etc. Rifles and shotguns don't require a
permit or police check but the store must run a cursory
check and the weapon is registered to you. Does that stop
me from selling a shotgun or rifle? No. Pistol? Absolutely.

As for being on some freekin' list? I really don't give a
rats ass. If I'm not doing anything illegal why would I?

If I'm growing tomatoes with hydros and they wanna come see
'em, come on ahead! Wanna take my guns, well, now they may
have a problem there, as with any gun owner I suspect.

People spout all the time that the gov. will use this
information to confiscate all guns. Ain't no freekin' way.

There are WAY too many people who legally own them that they
wouldn't have a chance.

Now... if someone's into illegal activity and gets busted
for those lists then I'm all for it.

--
Steve
Old 24-01-2007, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wawwiz wrote:

"SO WHAT" you say! So it's none of the governments business if any
individual wants to buy hydroponic materials, nor if I want to check
out a book, or any item like these, it's an invasion of our privacy,
thats what is SO WHAT! As for guns, you can still buy a gun from a
provate person without registering it,

I believe possession of an unregistered hand gun is a criminal
offense in some juristictions.

you can still build a still as long as you don't produce a set amount
past what is considered personal consumption,

You must be thinking of beer and wine which has a limit of
100 gallons of beer and 100 gallons of wine per adult with
a limit of 200 gallons of each per household. In St. Mary's
County in Maryland, bona fide residents can sell homebrewed
native wines and cider from their houses. Home distillation
is not legal through the United States, its territories, and
its possessions. But in New Zealand you can brew and distill
all you need. In the Australian Capital Territory and in the
of South Australia, you can grow up to 7 marijauna plants at
one time.

and thats what we really need, more guns and more booze.

More booze sounds good to me!

I was just stating why there's not more hydroponic groups, as for the
pot growers, if they are growing thier smoke here at home, none of the
money is filtering back to the terrorist, seems more sensible to
legalize it, tax it (it is the largest cash crop in America) and take
the money away from the wetbacks and terrorist. I am not condoning the
use but someone needs to wake up and see the war on drugs is actually
fueling the other world economies.

Absolute agreement.

One last note, doesn't take much to weed (sorry for the pun)
out the conservatives from the liberals does it!

In early December of 1980, I was at a house party and was
discussing plans for an upcoming social organization New
Year's Eve party and said "It will be $45 per person and
$60 per couple." When asked what was a 'couple', I replied
"It's two people who registered together." The person who
asked the question then began a salvo of questions like
"Do they have to be married?; do they have to living together?;
What if they are gay?". My repetitive response was "Did they
register together?"

Someone who never met either of us said "It's easy to tell
how you just voted." Another person in the room started
laughing and, pointing to me, said "He's a yellow-dog
Republican" and, pointing to the other person, "He's a
knee-jerk liberal."

One last note: It doesn't take much to weed out the
conservatives from the reactionaries.

I will post no further on this subject as it has more to
do with politics than gardening.

Dick

Old 24-01-2007, 10:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 19, 10:15 pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
There do not appear to be any Hydroponics newsgroups and the
Hydroponics listserv I was using shut down a few years ago.

Does anyone know where the Hydroponics people congregate on
the Internet?

Dick

P.S.: If you have any tax question, try misc.taxes.moderated.
It's free and has no spam.

I dont understand why all the concern about the growing equipment when
the USDA in West Virgina is doing 8 years worth of research on growing
strawberries in hydoponics, USDA also gave Uni of Arkansas 8 years
worth of grant money to study Blackberreis in hydroponics and Uni of
New Hampshire was awarded 8 years for study of Blueberries. HERE WE
HAVE THE USDA putting out WARNING bullitons to All in USA that the
United States is about to lose their BERRY crops, due to land, water,
earth pollution and the largest reason for the loss is Land
Developement....and also mentions that these crops need to be done in
greenhouses due to these pollutions.... now when the usda is putting
out warnings as this, wouldnt you expect a few in the USA to go out and
follow right along with what is being researched at the USDA? I AM as
you know Rdad!!

Old 24-01-2007, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Steve Calvin expounded:

That depends on the State. Here in NY if you buy a pistol,
you first need to be approved by the police department after
background checks, etc. Rifles and shotguns don't require a
permit or police check but the store must run a cursory
check and the weapon is registered to you. Does that stop
me from selling a shotgun or rifle? No. Pistol? Absolutely.

As for being on some freekin' list? I really don't give a
rats ass. If I'm not doing anything illegal why would I?

If I'm growing tomatoes with hydros and they wanna come see
'em, come on ahead! Wanna take my guns, well, now they may
have a problem there, as with any gun owner I suspect.

People spout all the time that the gov. will use this
information to confiscate all guns. Ain't no freekin' way.

Sadly your attitude is what will give them the freedom to do exactly
that.

There are WAY too many people who legally own them that they
wouldn't have a chance.

You are naive.

Now... if someone's into illegal activity and gets busted
for those lists then I'm all for it.

Of course they should. But instead they continue to pile law after
law onto law abiding citizens, as if that's going to do a thing about
crime. Criminals don't give a shit about gun laws, never have, and
never will. But we will surely lose our rights to self-defense if we
all get as complacent as you.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 24-01-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ann wrote:

Of course they should. But instead they continue to pile law after
law onto law abiding citizens, as if that's going to do a thing about
crime. Criminals don't give a shit about gun laws, never have, and
never will. But we will surely lose our rights to self-defense if we
all get as complacent as you.

And you my dear are sadly in need of a reality injection
instead of taking those hysteria pills.

--
Steve
Old 25-04-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dick,

I'm looking for the same info.
I want to put together something small, just to grow herbs.
I think it would be silly to pay $150 for the Aerogarden if I can put
something together in a plastic bucket.

I just can't find the info.

Please post if you find anything.

Most of the books at Amazon seem to be geared towards large-scale
gardening, or marijuana.
Old 26-04-2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

There is no magic involved. You can use buckets, pipes, rain gutters,
whatever.

Actually, I just found a product called WaterFarm by General
Hydroponics. It costs $50, and includes everything, including
nutrients, growing medium, and pump. Doesn't seem like too bad a
price. I already have a light and support frame.
Old 27-04-2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Actually, I just found a product called WaterFarm by General
Hydroponics.

Geez, these things are popular with the pot crowd.
Just Googling for info, I feel like they're going to kick down my
door. :-)

FS: Hydroponics Gear ^Doc^ Gardening 1 30-11-2003 03:12 PM
Non-Circulating Hydroponics chris sci.agriculture 5 04-05-2003 11:56 PM
Hydroponics for orchids? Kevin Orchids 2 20-03-2003 03:32 PM
FYI - hydroponics growers Jim Carter Edible Gardening 1 23-02-2003 09:15 PM
hydroponics Bill Shoemaker Edible Gardening 0 30-01-2003 11:30 PM