GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Peppers with mild heat (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/1532-re-peppers-mild-heat.html)

M. Tiefert 19-02-2003 07:03 PM

Peppers with mild heat

In article , (Frank Miles) wrote:
In article ,
IC_Gardener wrote:
Can anyone suggest a mildly hot pepper they like to grow? I grow at
least four kinds of sweet bell peppers every year, but I would like to
grow something with a little heat. Something milder than a Jalepeno
would be best. Is there a bell pepper variety with some heat? This
would be for fresh use, not for drying.

I think that some variants of the Ancho/poblanos might work for you.
Check out the catalog from Tomato Growers Supply Co. -- they have
peppers too.

-frank

There are also Anaheims, which are similar to Anchos in heat. Burpee has
a 'hardly-hot' jalapeno variety called False Alarm. Burpee and Parks
both have Salsa Delight, which they say are mild.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/

Rebecca Bausch 20-02-2003 02:27 AM

Peppers with mild heat

I bought "Senorita" peppers from Parks this year, they are sold as "jalapeno
flavor without all the heat"

"IC_Gardener" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone suggest a mildly hot pepper they like to grow? I grow at
least four kinds of sweet bell peppers every year, but I would like to
grow something with a little heat. Something milder than a Jalepeno
would be best. Is there a bell pepper variety with some heat? This
would be for fresh use, not for drying.

IC_Gardener
Iowa City, Iowa
Zone 5A

zog 20-02-2003 02:51 AM

Peppers with mild heat

(M. Tiefert) wrote in
:

In article ,

(Frank Miles) wrote:
In article ,
IC_Gardener wrote:
Can anyone suggest a mildly hot pepper they like to grow? I grow at
least four kinds of sweet bell peppers every year, but I would like
to grow something with a little heat. Something milder than a
Jalepeno would be best. Is there a bell pepper variety with some
heat? This would be for fresh use, not for drying.

I think that some variants of the Ancho/poblanos might work for you.
Check out the catalog from Tomato Growers Supply Co. -- they have
peppers too.

-frank

Got to agree w/ Frank about Anchos. They are hot enough to have flavor but
don't scare the wife & kids. Some are quite large, they make good stuffed
peppers and work well in omelets and salads. Pasila Bajiio is another good
choice especially if you harvest full ripe. Pinetree has seed at
reasonable prices to trial.

Frogleg 24-02-2003 02:03 PM

Peppers with mild heat

On 19 Feb 2003 06:55:29 -0800, (IC_Gardener)
wrote:

Can anyone suggest a mildly hot pepper they like to grow? I grow at
least four kinds of sweet bell peppers every year, but I would like to
grow something with a little heat. Something milder than a Jalepeno
would be best. Is there a bell pepper variety with some heat? This
would be for fresh use, not for drying.

New Mexico or Anahiem chiles (different names for virtually the same
plant) can be quite mild. Of course, hotness varies with climate
conditions, soil, and heaven-know-what. These are the types that are
in the little cans of "diced chile peppers, mild" in the grocery
store.

Lee Hall 24-02-2003 08:04 PM

Peppers with mild heat

(IC_Gardener) wrote in message . com...
Can anyone suggest a mildly hot pepper they like to grow? I grow at
least four kinds of sweet bell peppers every year, but I would like to
grow something with a little heat. Something milder than a Jalepeno
would be best. Is there a bell pepper variety with some heat? This
would be for fresh use, not for drying.

IC_Gardener
Iowa City, Iowa
Zone 5A

I like Corno di Toro Red (aka Italian Bullshorn). They are large, red,
banana shaped peppers. My wife can't take really hot peppers but we
both like these grilled and in salads. They must be easy to grow since
I did okay with them and they were the first peppers I have tried to
grow.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B - Tennessee