GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Puny tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/15350-puny-tomatoes.html)

[email protected] 17-04-2003 07:08 PM

Puny tomatoes

I have some tomato plants that I started last fall. They have grand
foliage, green and healthy. There are quite a few tomatoes that have set,
but they are small. Some are marble sized! These do get red and ripe.
This includes the Celebrity and beefmaster.
I have been feeding granular vegetable food (these are growing in 15 gal
pots) and making sure the water is very regular. Also some fish emulsion,
very dilute.
Am I giving them too much or too little of something?
Thanks,
Roz
az usa

Frankhartx 18-04-2003 05:08 AM

Puny tomatoes

From: "

have some tomato plants that I started last fall. They have grand
foliage, green and healthy. There are quite a few tomatoes that have set,
but they are small. Some are marble sized! These do get red and ripe.
This includes the Celebrity and beefmaster.
I have been feeding granular vegetable food (these are growing in 15 gal
pots) and making sure the water is very regular. Also some fish emulsion,
very dilute.
Am I giving them too much or too little of something?
Thanks,
Roz
az usa

Possibly excess nitrogen leading to lush foliage growth at the expense of
fruit. try cutting back on feeding, especially nitrogen content.

Repeating Decimal 18-04-2003 07:44 PM

Puny tomatoes

in article , Frankhartx at

From: "

have some tomato plants that I started last fall. They have grand
foliage, green and healthy. There are quite a few tomatoes that have set,
but they are small. Some are marble sized! These do get red and ripe.
This includes the Celebrity and beefmaster.
I have been feeding granular vegetable food (these are growing in 15 gal
pots) and making sure the water is very regular. Also some fish emulsion,
very dilute.
Am I giving them too much or too little of something?
Thanks,
Roz
az usa

Possibly excess nitrogen leading to lush foliage growth at the expense of
fruit. try cutting back on feeding, especially nitrogen content.

Try using a hydroponic nutrient designed for tomatoes. They usually come in
two formulations--grow and bloom. You probably want the bloom version. The
grow version is more to get initial vigorous growth. These formulations have
all kinds of trace elements not ordinarily found in fertilizers.

Bill