Old 17-04-2003, 09:44 PM
The Gardners

Default San Jose/Santa Clara County horse manure for composter.

Hello all,

I am in the San Jose/Santa Clara County area and am wanting to really
double, at least, my composting efforts. I have been reading a little
on GardenWeb, and some seem so excited over getting horse manure to take
home and compost. I could use some help in finding "cooperating"
stables in my general area so that I may obtain some of this "green
gold." I have emailed our extension service, as well, and am waiting to
hear from them. Any information or assistance from you great horse and
compost people out in the Santa Clara Valley would be greatly
appreciated.

Also, would y'all know of any straw (or hay?) to be gotten on the
cheap? Any othe farm/ranch related items good for composting, and
cheap?

I have a truck, a strong back, and a husband: so I don't need delivery.
:-D

Thanks,
Sherry.

Old 18-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Zphysics1

[...]

Sherry,

Maybe you local community garden center can help you. Here in L.A., our garden
center brings in compost made from elephant manure from the L.A. zoo several
times a year.

I think your community center maybe have such service as well.

/z.

Old 19-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Mary McHugh

The Gardners wrote:
Also, would y'all know of any straw (or hay?) to be gotten on the
cheap? Any othe farm/ranch related items good for composting, and
cheap?

I have a truck, a strong back, and a husband: so I don't need delivery.
:-D

Thanks,
Sherry.

Not many replies, at least to the newsgroup. Try re-posting in
rec.equestrian and misc.rural(or I can x-post it for you).

Straw and hay can be found cheaper at feed stores and cheapest right on
the farm where they hay it. Your area is generally light on grass hay
and heavy on alfalfa (legume). I don't know what the straw situation
is. Alfalfa has lots of nitrogen. If it's for composting, then try and
find moldy bales at the feed store or farm and see if you can get them
for a discount. Moldy hay and alfalfa is a no-no for livestock.

Mary

Old 23-04-2003, 10:20 PM
The Gardners

Hi, Mary

Thanks for the great help. Funny how I know nothing about straw/hay/alfalfa
etc. Just got into it via a composting forum. Always loved horses, but never
needed their poop before this. Thanks again.

Sherry.

Mary McHugh wrote:

The Gardners wrote:
[...]

Silver Bismark Palm in San Jose CA Harken Ronstan Gardening 0 04-03-2004 01:42 PM
San Jose Juniper questions DC Bonsai 0 27-04-2003 01:56 PM
SVAS Planted Aquaria Open House Friday Jan 24 San Jose Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
San Jose LFS Closing It's Doors Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
Water Hyacinth in San Jose, CA Snooze Ponds 27 15-04-2003 03:21 AM