GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PEI Onions? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/154080-pei-onions.html)

J. 13-02-2007 04:02 AM

PEI Onions?

I know, I know. This post should be about potatoes, but it's not. Last
summer when visiting PEI I stopped at a roadside farm stand and picked
up various items for that evening's dinner. Among these were a bunch of
small, squat, greenish white onions. As it was an honor system farm
stand I was unable to inquire about what variety of onions these may
have been. Anybody know? Thought I'd try to plant some this year.

Thanks,

J.

[email protected] 13-02-2007 01:42 PM

PEI Onions?

On Feb 12, 11:02 pm, "J." wrote:
I know, I know. This post should be about potatoes, but it's not. Last
summer when visiting PEI I stopped at a roadside farm stand and picked
up various items for that evening's dinner. Among these were a bunch of
small, squat, greenish white onions. As it was an honor system farm
stand I was unable to inquire about what variety of onions these may
have been. Anybody know? Thought I'd try to plant some this year.

Thanks,

J.

There are quite a few possibilities. You may want to start looking
among the cippolini types. Most are yellow skin, but whites do exist.

[email protected] 13-02-2007 11:51 PM

PEI Onions?

In article ,
says...
I know, I know. This post should be about potatoes, but it's not. Last
summer when visiting PEI I stopped at a roadside farm stand and picked
up various items for that evening's dinner. Among these were a bunch of
small, squat, greenish white onions. As it was an honor system farm
stand I was unable to inquire about what variety of onions these may
have been. Anybody know? Thought I'd try to plant some this year.

"An honour system farm stand"? Like nobody there, and just a box
to drop in your payment?

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

Just Another 14-02-2007 03:30 AM

PEI Onions?

In article ,
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I know, I know. This post should be about potatoes, but it's not. Last
summer when visiting PEI I stopped at a roadside farm stand and picked
up various items for that evening's dinner. Among these were a bunch of
small, squat, greenish white onions. As it was an honor system farm
stand I was unable to inquire about what variety of onions these may
have been. Anybody know? Thought I'd try to plant some this year.

"An honour system farm stand"? Like nobody there, and just a box
to drop in your payment?

Pretty common. I've used 'em in California and Hawaii, anyway.

Ann 14-02-2007 01:12 PM

PEI Onions?

expounded:

"An honour system farm stand"? Like nobody there, and just a box
to drop in your payment?

Yep, there all around here, too.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

J. 15-02-2007 11:47 PM

PEI Onions?

Yes, precisely.

J.

J. 16-02-2007 12:36 AM

PEI Onions?

Cippolini. Been looking around and yes, some of these do seem to be what
I found at that roadstand. Thanks a bunch! (pun intended).

J.