Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default junkets

This is not a political rant. :-)

On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;
not a profitable line.)

Another caller recounted how, in times of shortage during the war, her
mother would stir the warming milk with a twig from their fig tree
(edible figs) and this would cause the milk to set (albeit not smoothly).
The chosen twig was about the thickness of a finger and was first
prepared by having its bark peeled off.

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"John Savage" wrote in message
On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;
not a profitable line.)

Another caller recounted how, in times of shortage during the war, her
mother would stir the warming milk with a twig from their fig tree
(edible figs) and this would cause the milk to set (albeit not smoothly).
The chosen twig was about the thickness of a finger and was first
prepared by having its bark peeled off.

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Curdling%20agent

Old 13-03-2007, 10:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Curdling%20agent

Indeed an interesting list. I'd welcome suggestions for a substitute for
rennet in making junket, too. This involves setting the milk, rather than
just making it curdle. (I can use pineapple cordial base to make milk
curdle, but it won't turn it into a junket.)
Old 15-03-2007, 05:20 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Curdling%20agent

Indeed an interesting list. I'd welcome suggestions for a substitute for
rennet in making junket, too. This involves setting the milk, rather than
just making it curdle. (I can use pineapple cordial base to make milk
curdle, but it won't turn it into a junket.)

"Lady's bedstraw" is a natural rennet. I had some in my previous garden.
See:
http://www.englishplants.co.uk/ladysbed.html and
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/bedlad25.html