GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/155439-tomato-seeds.html)

[email protected] 18-03-2007 04:44 PM

Tomato seeds

I've been growing Burpee Salad Choice Hybrid saladette tomatos for the
past 3 years. They've been great producers and the tomatos are oblong,
about 3 to 4 ounces each. Never grown a better tomato ! The problem -
I can't get the seeds any more. It seems like Burpee stopped producing
them. Can anybody suggest a good alternative ?
Also, does anyone have an opinion on this Spray 'n Grow stuff that
I've been seeing on QVC ? Don't want to buy it if it's useless.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

- Tom D. -

The Cook 18-03-2007 06:29 PM

Tomato seeds

On 18 Mar 2007 09:44:17 -0700, wrote:

I've been growing Burpee Salad Choice Hybrid saladette tomatos for the
past 3 years. They've been great producers and the tomatos are oblong,
about 3 to 4 ounces each. Never grown a better tomato ! The problem -
I can't get the seeds any more. It seems like Burpee stopped producing
them. Can anybody suggest a good alternative ?
Also, does anyone have an opinion on this Spray 'n Grow stuff that
I've been seeing on QVC ? Don't want to buy it if it's useless.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

- Tom D. -

Burpee's catalog lists 3 saladettes.
Fresh Salsa 63726-A
Ensalada Hybrid 63461-A
Little Mama 63785-A

Ensalada is the only one I can bring up on a search for saladette
online. The others may be available if you call. Salad Choice was
not listed in the 2006 catalog either. I don't have any suggestions
since I am usually growing larger and smaller tomatoes.

--
Susan N.

gw 23-03-2007 01:53 AM

Tomato seeds

they seem to still be selling, and many varieties
there seems to be a 'type' associated with the name saladette, as
well. Google on this word may bring up all sorts of places.
you may also want to look for a different brand than Burpee, as well.
A recent article online mentions that most Wal-mart sold seed,
including Burpees, may have issues with deliberately creating sterile
fruit. I hope this is wrong information.

good luck~