Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-03-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mints

I grow a number of small edibles in large containers, in the interest
of water conservation because I am in an arid zone. My major
mysterious problem in recent years as been some mints -- which I would
have thought would be pretty trouble free. Oregano and sage are native
here, and I try to give them what they needs in nature, namely not too
much water in warm weather Spearmint is European and therefore wants
more water, and I try to oblige.

In both of the past few summers, both spearmint and oregano, though
not sage, began to turn black about half through the summer. I was
feeding them an organic fertilizer, and they were both surely moist
enough, so I tried reducing the water supply, which didn't seem to
help. What is it that they need that I am not giving them?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on