GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/1561-re-bags-over-ears-corn-keep-out-raccoons.html)

Pat Kiewicz 20-02-2003 11:51 AM

Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons

Tim B said:

We aren't allowed to have electric fence because of a homeowners association
rule. So I'm thinking of using the method of bagging each ear of corn to
protect them from squirrels.

(1) At what point in the corn development cycle do you tie the bags on?

(2) Anybody have success with this method of protection?

Please see my post in the earlier thread about temporary fencing. It really
works.

(I should have mentioned that the corn is planted one per square foot in each
block.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

simy1 20-02-2003 03:03 PM

"Tim B" wrote in message ...
We aren't allowed to have electric fence because of a homeowners association
rule. So I'm thinking of using the method of bagging each ear of corn to
protect them from squirrels.

(1) At what point in the corn development cycle do you tie the bags on?

(2) Anybody have success with this method of protection?

My experience with my grapes is that bags will work against birds but
not against racoons.

Norman Rohrabaugh 21-02-2003 01:51 PM

Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons

When the ears gets near mature, or when ever something attackes them, spray
them with hot sauce. This will keep all 4 legged animals away.

Tim B 22-02-2003 11:15 AM

Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons

Pardon me, change that to "So I'm thinking of using the method of bagging
each ear of corn to
protect them from RACCOONS".

. ..