Old 19-04-2003, 11:08 PM
zxcvbob

Default How early can cabbage be set out in zone 4?

I've got a couple of dozen cabbage seedlings in 4-packs under my grow
lights. The have one set of true leaves. Even with plenty of light, they
are getting spindly due to the heat. How early can I set them out in SE
Minnesota? I usually only grow hot weather crops, so I'm not sure about
stuff that can take some cold. I also want to sow some peas, but it might
be a little early still, I dunno. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 20-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Dwayne

Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower can all take frost, but
not a hard freeze. If you plant them, have an emergency method of covering
them up handy, in case it really turns cold.

Dwayne

Old 20-04-2003, 04:44 PM
simy1

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
I've got a couple of dozen cabbage seedlings in 4-packs under my grow
lights. The have one set of true leaves. Even with plenty of light, they
are getting spindly due to the heat. How early can I set them out in SE
Minnesota? I usually only grow hot weather crops, so I'm not sure about
stuff that can take some cold. I also want to sow some peas, but it might
be a little early still, I dunno. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

There is cabbage and cabbage. My cabbages (red ball, collard, and
January King) are all noted for their tolerance of cold. I put them
out a month ago, as soon as the bed thawed. They have taken a few
nights at 25F, and I covered them twice with plastic sheets, in one
case it got down to 16F. They are all fine, and I won't cover them
again.
Old 20-04-2003, 07:32 PM
zxcvbob

simy1 wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in message ...

I've got a couple of dozen cabbage seedlings in 4-packs under my grow
lights. The have one set of true leaves. Even with plenty of light, they
are getting spindly due to the heat. How early can I set them out in SE
Minnesota? I usually only grow hot weather crops, so I'm not sure about
stuff that can take some cold. I also want to sow some peas, but it might
be a little early still, I dunno. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

There is cabbage and cabbage. My cabbages (red ball, collard, and
January King) are all noted for their tolerance of cold. I put them
out a month ago, as soon as the bed thawed. They have taken a few
nights at 25F, and I covered them twice with plastic sheets, in one
case it got down to 16F. They are all fine, and I won't cover them
again.

I planted "Early Golden Acre", which I'm not familiar with. I think I'll
set the flat outside while the weather is cool and damp, and I can take
them in if it freezes or gets too windy. Meanwhile, I'll try to find some
old-fashioned paper "hot kaps".

I'll set them out the first week in May, or when I find the hot kaps,
whichever comes first.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 22-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Jan Flora

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

I've got a couple of dozen cabbage seedlings in 4-packs under my grow
lights. The have one set of true leaves. Even with plenty of light, they
are getting spindly due to the heat. How early can I set them out in SE
Minnesota? I usually only grow hot weather crops, so I'm not sure about
stuff that can take some cold. I also want to sow some peas, but it might
be a little early still, I dunno. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

Plant your peas as soon as the soil is dry enough to not make a mud ball
when you squish a handful of dirt.

We got 10" of snow here yesterday. *groan*

Jan in Alaska
Zone 3