Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cross pollination ???

Hi, I'm a novice gardener. I was planning on trying water melons and
pumpkins in my garden this year. When I mentioned this to my family
at Easter, My Great-Uncle told me he semed to remember reading
somewher that watermelons and pumpkins might cross pollinate and that
I should looki into it before planting them next to each other. Does
anyone know if this is true? If so, how might it affect the actual
watermelons or pumpkins? The spot where I was thinking of planting
them is a patch about 22' x 10' (and if they overgrow out of that
area, so much the better)

Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Zimmy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm a novice gardener. I was planning on trying water melons and
pumpkins in my garden this year. When I mentioned this to my family
at Easter, My Great-Uncle told me he semed to remember reading
somewher that watermelons and pumpkins might cross pollinate and that
I should looki into it before planting them next to each other. Does
anyone know if this is true?

It's an old wive's tale (or in this case an old uncle's tale). It won't
happen to the fruit this year. The only way it could happen is if you
wanted to save seed from this years crop to plant out in subsequent years.
Ignore your Great Unlce.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Zimmy wrote:

Hi, I'm a novice gardener. I was planning on trying water melons and
pumpkins in my garden this year. When I mentioned this to my family
at Easter, My Great-Uncle told me he semed to remember reading
somewher that watermelons and pumpkins might cross pollinate and that
I should looki into it before planting them next to each other. Does
anyone know if this is true? If so, how might it affect the actual
watermelons or pumpkins? The spot where I was thinking of planting
them is a patch about 22' x 10' (and if they overgrow out of that
area, so much the better)

I wouldn't worry too much about that, two different species. Pumpkins
are squash family and watermelons are melon family. Even if they did the
seed would either not be viable or you wouldn't have to plant saved seed.

George

Old 13-04-2007, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 11, 3:57 pm, "Zimmy" wrote:
Hi, I'm a novice gardener. I was planning on trying water melons and
pumpkins in my garden this year. When I mentioned this to my family
at Easter, My Great-Uncle told me he semed to remember reading
somewher that watermelons and pumpkins might cross pollinate and that
I should looki into it before planting them next to each other. Does
anyone know if this is true? If so, how might it affect the actual
watermelons or pumpkins? The spot where I was thinking of planting
them is a patch about 22' x 10' (and if they overgrow out of that
area, so much the better)

No need to worry at all. The only common plant that crosses with
watermelon is citron. They won't cross with cantaloupes cucumbers and
the like. Neither will they cross with squashes. Many of the squashes
will cross with each, but unless as someone mentioned, you are saving
seeds it does not matter.

cross pollination of vegetables K United Kingdom 14 13-08-2009 10:54 PM
Pear trees - cross pollination query. Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 6 22-03-2007 11:36 PM
Cross pollination? jammer Roses 17 17-05-2003 09:44 AM
Cross-pollination question Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 15-05-2003 01:44 PM
Cross pollination? Sunflower Roses 0 07-05-2003 06:32 PM