GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing lettuce (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/156777-growing-lettuce.html)

[email protected] 13-04-2007 07:44 AM

Growing lettuce

After the seeds sprout, they just die.

What do I need to do?

FarmI 13-04-2007 01:46 PM

Growing lettuce

wrote in message
After the seeds sprout, they just die.

What do I need to do?

Too little information to tell. How and where are you planting them, what
are you doing to get them to germinate and at what stage of growth are they
dying? What season is it at the time of your planting them? What are the
lower and higher limits of temperature at the time of sprouting?

Omelet 13-04-2007 03:35 PM

Growing lettuce

In article .com,
" wrote:

After the seeds sprout, they just die.

What do I need to do?

Overwatering?

Over planting? (they do better with thinning)

You are not giving us enough details! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

[email protected] 15-04-2007 12:03 AM

Growing lettuce

On Apr 12, 8:44 pm, "
wrote:
After the seeds sprout, they just die.

What do I need to do?

That' what happens.

About a week after they sprout, they sort of shrivel, dry up and die.

And it's not because I didn't water them.

TQ 16-04-2007 01:59 AM

Growing lettuce

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 12, 8:44 pm, "
wrote:
After the seeds sprout, they just die.

What do I need to do?

That' what happens.

About a week after they sprout, they sort of shrivel, dry up and die.

And it's not because I didn't water them.

Sounds to me like too much water.

Dave 16-04-2007 05:10 AM

Growing lettuce

wrote in message
oups.com...
After the seeds sprout, they just die.

What do I need to do?

Not sure. Can't see your conditions and what you're doing or not doing.

I have a pesky lettuce growing just barely on the gravel driveway. I don't
water it. The soil there is some kind of red clay in the road base. Soil
beneath is classic hill country rock/gravel/light brown clay. It grew there
last year too, whithered away in summer. Now its back again.

2 lettuce from last year are from seed blossomed from the prior year's
garden. A few further down the furrow I just planted a couple of weeks ago.
They're babies. They seem to struggle for a few weeks, then take off here.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins