Old 19-04-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Jalapeno x Habanero hybrid (was: Wimpy Jalapenos?

Mark Thorson wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
A spicy hot, natural tomato. You could have made a fortune. Why
hasn't someone mass-marketed these yet? Should be easy to do as
peppers and tomatoes are kinda related, no?

That reminds me of a question I've had.

Why has nobody developed a pepper as large and thick as a red bell
pepper, but as hot as a Red Savina?

It should be doable, no?

I think it could be very commercially successful, at the industrial
level, if not consumer retail.

Three or four years ago, my brother grew jalapeños and various mild
capsicum chinense and capsicum baccatums. The chinenses were disturbing
because they tasted like a habanero but had no heat at all.

The jalapeños must have crossed with one of the C. chinenses because he
had volunteer peppers the next year that looked like jalapeños, and were
thick and juicy like a jalapeños, but were firey hot and tasted like a
habanero. I never saw the bushes to see what kind of leaves and flowers
they had. Anyway, he sliced and dehydrated a bunch of the peppers. I
salvaged some of the seeds from the dehydrated peppers and tried to grow
them last year. (I have a sneezing fit every time i open the bag
because they are so hot.) It took them about a month to germinate and
then they all died -- but at least they germinated. I thought they
might be infertile mules, or might have been killed by the dehydrator heat.

I planted them again this year and pampered them with mild bottom
heating, and they are germinating right now and look a lot more
vigorous. If they survive (and I think they will) it will be
interesting to see what the F2 hybrids are like. If I'm really really
lucky, after several generations I might be able to select a strain that
resembles the original hybrid.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 20-04-2007, 07:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Mark Thorson wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
A spicy hot, natural tomato. You could have made a fortune. Why
hasn't someone mass-marketed these yet? Should be easy to do as
peppers and tomatoes are kinda related, no?

That reminds me of a question I've had.

Why has nobody developed a pepper as large and thick as a red bell
pepper, but as hot as a Red Savina?

It should be doable, no?

I had a navy cook buddy who was working on crossing a bell pepper with a
habanero...don't know how successful he's been. But I'm sure he's not
the only one.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

Old 16-07-2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Mark Thorson wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
A spicy hot, natural tomato. You could have made a fortune. Why
hasn't someone mass-marketed these yet? Should be easy to do as
peppers and tomatoes are kinda related, no?
That reminds me of a question I've had.

Why has nobody developed a pepper as large and thick as a red bell
pepper, but as hot as a Red Savina?

It should be doable, no?

I had a navy cook buddy who was working on crossing a bell pepper with a
habanero...don't know how successful he's been. But I'm sure he's not the
only one.

You are assuming the species distinction between C. annuum and C.
chinense is really valid; I'm not so sure.

I have jalapeño x habanero F2 hybrids growing in my garden right now.
They were planted kind of late, so they are just now blooming. I'm
anxious to see what the fruit are like. (I assume they will vary some
from plant-to-plant)

The parent habanero wasn't really a hab, it was a different /mild/ C.
chinense pepper; I'm not sure what varieties my brother grew that year,
but they were all jalapeños and mild chinenses and mild C. baccatums.
The F1's looked like jalapeños, with thick-walled juicy fruits that were
fiery hot. The taste has aspects of jalapeño and habaneno.

Bob