Old 25-04-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Calories

Does anyone know how the number of calories in a food or drink is
arrived at. How is the measurement made.

Old 25-04-2007, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Andy Petro" wrote:

Does anyone know how the number of calories in a food or drink is
arrived at. How is the measurement made.

4 Cal (kcal) / gram of carbohydrate (sugar, starch, or protein) and 9
Cal (kcal)/ gram of oil or fat. One Calorie can raise the temperature of
one gram (1 cubic milliliter) of water one degree Centigrade. Cool, huh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie...nd_food_labels
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 25-04-2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...
Does anyone know how the number of calories in a food or drink is
arrived at. How is the measurement made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
Old 25-04-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article ,
"Andy Petro" wrote:

Does anyone know how the number of calories in a food or drink is
arrived at. How is the measurement made.

4 Cal (kcal) / gram of carbohydrate (sugar, starch, or protein) and 9
Cal (kcal)/ gram of oil or fat. One Calorie can raise the temperature of
one gram (1 cubic milliliter) of water one degree Centigrade. Cool, huh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie...nd_food_labels
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

I shouldn't stay up past my bedtime. OK? Let me clean up my mess.

There are 4 Calories (kcal, a thousand calories) / gram of carbohydrate
(sugar, starch) or protein and 9 Cal (kcal)/ gram of oil or fat.

One calorie (with a small "c") can raise the temperature of one gram (1
cubic centimetr = 1 milliliter) of water (at standard temperature and
pressure) one degree centigrade.

Cool, huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie...nd_food_labels

I work better with a blackboard. Hmmm. These days I guess you would call
it a white board.

This is what I call the tar baby syndrome. The more you mess with it,
the worse it gets. I wonder if it's too late to go back to bed?