GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   growing fennel? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/157870-growing-fennel.html)

Lynn Coffelt 02-05-2007 11:57 PM

growing fennel?

No greenthumb here, but am trying to grow a little fennel (bulb type)
here in
Northwest Washington State, Zone 5. I've got a few fragile seedlings started
in the greenhouse, and now hardening off in the seed trays outside during
the day.
Any advice or online guide that look good? I've googled a little
without too
much luck.
I could grow them in the greenhouse if absolutely necessary, but it is
so small
and I guess these things get fairly large. Although zone 5 here, I am
beginning to
think that most of zone 5 is a few degrees warmer than here on the average.
Thanks for any response!
Old Chief Lynn

William Rose 03-05-2007 01:03 AM

growing fennel?

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

No greenthumb here, but am trying to grow a little fennel (bulb type)
here in
Northwest Washington State, Zone 5. I've got a few fragile seedlings started
in the greenhouse, and now hardening off in the seed trays outside during
the day.
Any advice or online guide that look good? I've googled a little
without too
much luck.
I could grow them in the greenhouse if absolutely necessary, but it is
so small
and I guess these things get fairly large. Although zone 5 here, I am
beginning to
think that most of zone 5 is a few degrees warmer than here on the average.
Thanks for any response!
Old Chief Lynn

Like the lady said, "Google is your friend", at least until the
government gets their claws into them.

Type in "growing fennel" et voila (so I heard tell):-) The first hit is
http://www.gardenersnet.com/herbs/fennel.htm

Have fun.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Merryb 04-05-2007 12:10 AM

growing fennel?

On May 2, 3:57 pm, "Lynn Coffelt" wrote:
No greenthumb here, but am trying to grow a little fennel (bulb type)
here in
Northwest Washington State, Zone 5. I've got a few fragile seedlings started
in the greenhouse, and now hardening off in the seed trays outside during
the day.
Any advice or online guide that look good? I've googled a little
without too
much luck.
I could grow them in the greenhouse if absolutely necessary, but it is
so small
and I guess these things get fairly large. Although zone 5 here, I am
beginning to
think that most of zone 5 is a few degrees warmer than here on the average.
Thanks for any response!
Old Chief Lynn

I would like to dig mine up and get rid of them! I'm in the Tacoma
area if you are interested.