Old 05-05-2007, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Any advice for growing watermelons?

I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Zimmy wrote:

I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

Live somewhere warm. ;-)
Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Zimmy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

Thinks LOTS.
Lots of compost or rotted manure. Recommended amount of veggie fertilizer
and lots and lots of sun and lots and lots of water. ;-)

Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5 May 2007 03:36:13 -0700, Zimmy wrote:

I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

Depends on where you live. It takes 110 days from day of planting for
the watermelon to mature. And they like hot weather.
--
Susan N.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Grow them out of sight of any neighborhood teenage boys

Andrew

Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 5, 6:36 am, Zimmy wrote:
I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

Lots of space.
Plant 5-7 seeds in a hill...thin to 3
Side dress ferts when vines start to run.
Spray fungicide to control powdery mildew.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

TQ wrote in news:1178417854.847122.72010
@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

On May 5, 6:36 am, Zimmy wrote:
I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

Lots of space.

Interpret "Lots" to mean "Vast amounts" and not just a little area. By
the end of the season, I'm usually moving watermelon vines anywhere
there's room. They race to the edges of the garden, tiptoe through the
tomatoes, and cover the ground.

*snip*

Puckdropper

Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

As I'm doing melons this year for the first time myself, I also appreciate
the answers. I only planted 1 of each(cantaloupe/honeydew/watermelon)
because I know I'll get enough from those. I always start them indoors a few
weeks before the weather is decent enough to plant them outside, so they're
A: going to have enough warm outside weather to finish growing since only
have like 2 or 3 months of a growing season here, and B: they're
established/'strong' enough to handle the transplant. I tried to do this
last year, but when it was time to transplant, I put one of the pots on the
porch/patio ledge and went inside to get the others and a chicken pecked the
stalk/stem clean in half. I was so upset...anyways, hope your plants thrive
Zimmy!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . net,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote:

As I'm doing melons this year for the first time myself, I also appreciate
the answers. I only planted 1 of each(cantaloupe/honeydew/watermelon)
because I know I'll get enough from those. I always start them indoors a few
weeks before the weather is decent enough to plant them outside, so they're
A: going to have enough warm outside weather to finish growing since only
have like 2 or 3 months of a growing season here, and B: they're
established/'strong' enough to handle the transplant. I tried to do this
last year, but when it was time to transplant, I put one of the pots on the
porch/patio ledge and went inside to get the others and a chicken pecked the
stalk/stem clean in half. I was so upset...anyways, hope your plants thrive
Zimmy!

I got a good chicken recipe:-)
- Bill
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"William Rose" wrote in message

I got a good chicken recipe:-)
- Bill

haha well if my mother wouldn't have a fit, and we didn't have mostly small
banty hens which you'd need at least 2 of to get enough meat, I'd take you
up on that...

Old 08-05-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 05 May 2007 13:39:52 -0500, Manelli Family wrote:

"Zimmy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

Thinks LOTS.
Lots of compost or rotted manure. Recommended amount of veggie fertilizer
and lots and lots of sun and lots and lots of water. ;-)

And lots of space!

sf
Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Zimmy writes:
I'm new to gardening, and after a fairly successful first attempt, im
expanding and experimenting this year. I have an area i have set
aside to try my hand at growing watermelons this year. Does anyone
have any advice? Common mistakes to watch out for? Any halp is
greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest planting a small melon variety. They would
reach maturity faster than the full-sized monsters, and by growing 4 or
5 small ones instead of one monster, you'd not be putting all your eggs
in one basket, so to speak. Protect from goats, sheep, rats, and hail
storms. The seedless melons have gained popularity here, for a number of
reasons. The flesh is firmer, and the cut melon keeps perfectly for a
longer period than does a melon with seeds.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I hope i didn't jump the
gun and plant too early. its nice and warm during the day, but its
still a little chilly overnight. I planted 3 different types of
watermelon: one is supposed to grow fruits up to 14 lbs, one is
supposed to grow fruits 20 to 25 lbs, and the others were seeds my
mother-in-law saved from watermelons she cut up for my kids last
summer. (the kids planted some of the seeds in pots on the window
sill and they sprouted, so we'll see what they do in the garden.)
thanks again

Old 13-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Registered User

Hi ppl

I also am trying water melons this year.
Can somebody please tell me what is meant by "plant on a hill" please.....

If it means the obvious then why do they need to be planted at a slope lol i only have a flat garden!!

an a greenhouse

:S

Growing watermelons. ceed Texas 4 11-04-2005 02:39 AM
Growing watermelons in the UK? Martin Bates United Kingdom 0 07-01-2004 01:25 PM
Should Watermelons Be Sheltered From The Sun brsher Edible Gardening 5 11-08-2003 08:03 PM
Sick Watermelons?? junkyardcat Gardening 2 14-07-2003 01:22 AM
problem with watermelons / rockmelons Perksy Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM