Old 08-05-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Default keeping my cats out of my garden

We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer? My husband refuses to put chicken wire around the garden (as
a fence), for aesthetic reasons.

http://www.gardeners.com/Animal-Repe...ult/05-497.prd

or

Contech SCARECROW Motion Animal Control Sprinkler

Old 08-05-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sam wrote:
We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer? My husband refuses to put chicken wire around the garden (as
a fence), for aesthetic reasons.

Laying chicken wire works if done properly. The cats don't like to tread
on the narrow wire and can't dig through it. Just lay the wire down and
stick the seeds down in the holes where you want it. The plants will
grow up through the holes.

Standing chicken wire around won't always work as I've seen cats jump my
four foot wire.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8 May 2007 11:05:28 -0700, Sam wrote:

We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer? My husband refuses to put chicken wire around the garden (as
a fence), for aesthetic reasons.

http://www.gardeners.com/Animal-Repe...ult/05-497.prd

or

Contech SCARECROW Motion Animal Control Sprinkler

I used chicken wire to keep the cat out of the peas. Seemed to work
OK. Cat died so I don't have to worry about that anymore unless the
neighbors get another one.
Sue
Old 09-05-2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sue wrote:

On 8 May 2007 11:05:28 -0700, Sam wrote:

We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer?

Yeah, and it works for fine on five cats and two dogs. You don't even
have to leave it on all the time. Once they know it's there (2 days
max), occasional use, just to show the colors, so to speak, is
sufficient.

- Bill
Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Sam" wrote in message
ups.com...
We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer? My husband refuses to put chicken wire around the garden (as
a fence), for aesthetic reasons.

http://www.gardeners.com/Animal-Repe...ult/05-497.prd

or

Contech SCARECROW Motion Animal Control Sprinkler

3 wire high solar-powered electric fence should do the trick. Standard
T-posts will work to hold the insulators. Both common in rural areas.
Keeps my dogs at bay. They used to dig underneath the fence.
Warden Dave

Old 09-05-2007, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Has anyone tried a motion detector water sprayer?

They are particularly nice on hot days when you forget that they are on.
The spray pattern can be set and there is an sensitivity (low to high)
knob that allows you to turn it off when you work in the area. The
"Hounds from Hell" no longer dig in my lettuce patch (Who keeps barking
when the day is done? Who digs up the garden just for fun? psycho-dogs,
psycho-dogs.) and our pride of cats have had to find another toilet with
harder ground.

- Bill
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 09 May 2007 06:18:55 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Has anyone tried a motion detector water sprayer?

They are particularly nice on hot days when you forget that they are on.
The spray pattern can be set and there is an sensitivity (low to high)
knob that allows you to turn it off when you work in the area. The
"Hounds from Hell" no longer dig in my lettuce patch (Who keeps barking
when the day is done? Who digs up the garden just for fun? psycho-dogs,
psycho-dogs.) and our pride of cats have had to find another toilet with
harder ground.

- Bill

Has anybody tried orange peel (or other citrus fruits) ? Cats hate
citrus. I cut up my orange peels and strew them strategically among
the plants. Seems to work OK. I think there are even commercial
products sold incorporating the cats-hate-citrus principle.

Persephone
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2007 06:18:55 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Has anyone tried a motion detector water sprayer?

They are particularly nice on hot days when you forget that they are on.
The spray pattern can be set and there is an sensitivity (low to high)
knob that allows you to turn it off when you work in the area. The
"Hounds from Hell" no longer dig in my lettuce patch (Who keeps barking
when the day is done? Who digs up the garden just for fun? psycho-dogs,
psycho-dogs.) and our pride of cats have had to find another toilet with
harder ground.

- Bill

Has anybody tried orange peel (or other citrus fruits) ? Cats hate
citrus. I cut up my orange peels and strew them strategically among
the plants. Seems to work OK. I think there are even commercial
products sold incorporating the cats-hate-citrus principle.

Persephone

That's an interesting idea!

I might have to try that for "behavior modification" here.
While I've managed to train them to stay off of the kitchen counters and
stove top using upside down mouse traps, the dining room table is still
an area of contention.

Perhaps adding oranges or even lemons to the fruit bowl might work. ;-)
I use more lemons than I do oranges for cooking.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
On Wed, 09 May 2007 06:18:55 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Has anyone tried a motion detector water sprayer?

They are particularly nice on hot days when you forget that they are on.
The spray pattern can be set and there is an sensitivity (low to high)
knob that allows you to turn it off when you work in the area. The
"Hounds from Hell" no longer dig in my lettuce patch (Who keeps barking
when the day is done? Who digs up the garden just for fun? psycho-dogs,
psycho-dogs.) and our pride of cats have had to find another toilet with
harder ground.

- Bill

Has anybody tried orange peel (or other citrus fruits) ? Cats hate
citrus. I cut up my orange peels and strew them strategically among
the plants. Seems to work OK. I think there are even commercial
products sold incorporating the cats-hate-citrus principle.

Persephone

May work for domestic and ferrel cats. Won't work for whitetailed deer.
Attract instead. Go electric.
Dave

Old 10-05-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

May work for domestic and ferrel cats. Won't work for whitetailed deer.
Attract instead. Go electric.
Dave

Dave we were talking cats, not whitetail deer, tule elk, giraffes or,
Bush Elephants. For Bush Elephants, I would use orange peels.

You writing this down?

- Bill

Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sam wrote in news:1178647528.718999.238570
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer? My husband refuses to put chicken wire around the garden (as
a fence), for aesthetic reasons.

http://www.gardeners.com/Animal-Repe...ult/05-497.prd

Eat some oranges, place the peels in a blender with some water. Puree
them, then spread around the edge of the garden. Repeat application
often.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"William Rose" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

May work for domestic and ferrel cats. Won't work for whitetailed deer.
Attract instead. Go electric.
Dave

Dave we were talking cats, not whitetail deer, tule elk, giraffes or,
Bush Elephants. For Bush Elephants, I would use orange peels.

You writing this down?

- Bill

Mind kinda drifted off there for a minute. Neither will work on geese. g
Dave

Old 10-05-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 09 May 2007 18:22:58 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2007 06:18:55 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

If the table won't be damaged by water, use the trusty spray bottle
to convey your message.

Spray bottle indoors or water hose outdoors: Cats will grok.

Anecdote: Neighbor (not a nice person from way back) turned me in to
the animal control folks because my cat had committed a heinous crime:
He lay down on a leaf of a plant in this guy's big planter!!!! Caused
me no end of distress as I was just leaving for China, and my house
matewas in the hospital with a heart attack. Who feed cat??? Point
is, neighbor could easily have deterred the cat permanently with a
blast from the hose.

Perhaps adding oranges or even lemons to the fruit bowl might work. ;-)
I use more lemons than I do oranges for cooking.

You'd need to cut up the fruit to release that cat-repelling parfum.

Persephone

Old 10-05-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

That's an interesting idea!

I might have to try that for "behavior modification" here.
While I've managed to train them to stay off of the kitchen counters and
stove top using upside down mouse traps, the dining room table is still
an area of contention.

If the table won't be damaged by water, use the trusty spray bottle
to convey your message.

Spray bottle indoors or water hose outdoors: Cats will grok.

The problem is is that they know better. That's why the water pistol
won't work. The upside down mousetraps are "remote training". ;-)

Anecdote: Neighbor (not a nice person from way back) turned me in to
the animal control folks because my cat had committed a heinous crime:
He lay down on a leaf of a plant in this guy's big planter!!!! Caused
me no end of distress as I was just leaving for China, and my house
matewas in the hospital with a heart attack. Who feed cat??? Point
is, neighbor could easily have deterred the cat permanently with a
blast from the hose.

There is a jerk born every minute. :-(

Perhaps adding oranges or even lemons to the fruit bowl might work. ;-)
I use more lemons than I do oranges for cooking.

You'd need to cut up the fruit to release that cat-repelling parfum.

Persephone

I see. Okay, when I squeeze a lemon, I'll leave the peel on the table
for awhile before it goes into the compost. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.