GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strawberry blossoms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/158292-strawberry-blossoms.html)

Hud 09-05-2007 01:35 AM

Strawberry blossoms

Planted some strawberries and the first blossoms have appeared. I read
somewhere that one should pick off the blossoms because it encourages the
plants to send out shooters. If I pick off the blossoms, that means I won't
have any strawberries this year. Right? Will the plants spread if I don't
pick the blossoms? Or do you think I should just pick some of the blossoms
and not all? I really want to pick some berries this year. Any advice?

cloud dreamer[_3_] 09-05-2007 01:46 AM

Strawberry blossoms

Hud wrote:
Planted some strawberries and the first blossoms have appeared. I read
somewhere that one should pick off the blossoms because it encourages the
plants to send out shooters. If I pick off the blossoms, that means I won't
have any strawberries this year. Right? Will the plants spread if I don't
pick the blossoms? Or do you think I should just pick some of the blossoms
and not all? I really want to pick some berries this year. Any advice?

Depends on the variety. If they're everbearing, you can pick the
blossoms until the end of June then let them go. I put in Tristar
Everbearing strawberries last year and did just that and had more
strawberries from a 16' bed than I could eat.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Omelet 09-05-2007 06:40 AM

Strawberry blossoms

In article ,
"Hud" wrote:

Planted some strawberries and the first blossoms have appeared. I read
somewhere that one should pick off the blossoms because it encourages the
plants to send out shooters. If I pick off the blossoms, that means I won't
have any strawberries this year. Right? Will the plants spread if I don't
pick the blossoms? Or do you think I should just pick some of the blossoms
and not all? I really want to pick some berries this year. Any advice?

I never picked the blossoms and the strawberries send out PLENTY of
runners!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Hud 10-05-2007 12:49 AM

Strawberry blossoms

"Omelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"Hud" wrote:

Planted some strawberries and the first blossoms have appeared. I read
somewhere that one should pick off the blossoms because it encourages the
plants to send out shooters. If I pick off the blossoms, that means I
won't
have any strawberries this year. Right? Will the plants spread if I
don't
pick the blossoms? Or do you think I should just pick some of the
blossoms
and not all? I really want to pick some berries this year. Any advice?

I never picked the blossoms and the strawberries send out PLENTY of
runners!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Now that's what I wanted to hear! Thanks, Om.

Omelet 10-05-2007 01:39 AM

Strawberry blossoms

In article ,
"Hud" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"Hud" wrote:

Planted some strawberries and the first blossoms have appeared. I read
somewhere that one should pick off the blossoms because it encourages the
plants to send out shooters. If I pick off the blossoms, that means I
won't
have any strawberries this year. Right? Will the plants spread if I
don't
pick the blossoms? Or do you think I should just pick some of the
blossoms
and not all? I really want to pick some berries this year. Any advice?

I never picked the blossoms and the strawberries send out PLENTY of
runners!

Now that's what I wanted to hear! Thanks, Om.

:-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.