GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When Are Leek Seeds Ready? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/158485-when-leek-seeds-ready.html)

[email protected] 12-05-2007 02:38 AM

When Are Leek Seeds Ready?

Hi, everybody,

My leeks are putting up pods, which I am fairly sure are full of
seeds.

But how do I tell when they are mature to use?

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Gary Woods 12-05-2007 01:29 PM

When Are Leek Seeds Ready?

wrote:

My leeks are putting up pods, which I am fairly sure are full of
seeds.

I'm not sure I'd call them pods... I cut the dry flower heads and put them
in a paper bag for a few weeks. When they're crackly dry, they can be
crushed and rubbed in your hands, and the seeds winnowed out.
I often mix seeds and chaff with water and float off all the crud, then
spread the seeds on a fine screen in front of a fan. They dry too quickly
to even think about sprouting. Works for me, at least.