Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default RE electric fence

Lowes here is selling a kit for $80 that consists of a battery powered
charger with posts that will support a single strand of charged wire.
They include a hundred feet in the kit. Does this seem like it would
work? I would add a second wire so there would be strands at say three
and ten inches. This setup has no secondary fence to provide a ground.
I don't know if a groundhog would figure out jummping the wire. What
do you think?

Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Butzmark" wrote in message
Lowes here is selling a kit for $80 that consists of a battery powered
charger with posts that will support a single strand of charged wire.
They include a hundred feet in the kit. Does this seem like it would
work? I would add a second wire so there would be strands at say three
and ten inches. This setup has no secondary fence to provide a ground.
I don't know if a groundhog would figure out jummping the wire. What
do you think?

Too many details missing. What are trying to keep out or keep inside the
fence? Are you exceeding the wire length spec for the charger? What kind
of material is in the additional wire you're adding? Why would you need a
separate fence for a ground (separate wire maybe)? Will the fence have
fencing material? If so, will these posts support the fencing material and
act as physical barrier? Is this in reference to goats in a recent prior
post?
Dave

Old 12-05-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 12 May 2007 13:42:10 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

"Butzmark" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nope, groundhogs, with rabbits as an added bonus. This system uses a
stake driven into the ground to complete the loop when an animal is
touching the ground and the charged wire. In some other setups there
is a grounded barrier fence which acts as the ground. The charger is
good for a mile and I'm talking 200' of wire.

Electric Fence wruess Ponds (alternative) 1 22-01-2006 05:07 AM
Electric Fence in winter Cam Ponds 11 11-11-2004 04:10 PM
Electric Fence Recommendations Doug Kanter Gardening 32 25-09-2004 03:39 PM
Electric Fence Recomm THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 23-09-2004 09:37 PM
electric fence for ponds? Fish tales Ponds 6 09-04-2004 11:32 PM