Old 12-05-2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Raspberry question

We bought some raspberries from Gurney's and got them last month, put them
in big pots in the 'green' room(an add-on to the house with lots of
windows), since it was still winter weather. And now the weather is spring
finally, and yesterday I planted 2 raspberries outside as 'guinea pigs'(to
give them a couple days and see if they could handle the transplant, so I'd
know if it was safe to plant the others), and there was a green growth off
one of the roots, and I'm wondering if it's a runner, or what my mother
calls a 'sucker'(which I presume means a parasitical plant sucking energy
from the host plant). The other raspberries have like 2 each of the green
growths coming up out of the soil next to them. I have more experience with
blackberries, but I would have thought it would take time for the
raspberries to start 'reproducing'. They have what I think are going to be
blossoms as well. They were shipped as bareroot., and maybe at best a foot
in length. Do we have new raspberry plants/bushes already starting, or are
they something I should get rid off? Because we do want the raspberries to
proliferate(they're for along the fence and fresh berries make a nice
addition to a lot of things).

Old 13-05-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Rick" wrote in message

It depends on the type of raspberry. Many varieties will set a small crop

on
last years canes, and then set a larger crop on this years canes at the

end of
the summer. Raspberries always send up new canes- what you call suckers.

keep them in check just mow them. If your soil is sandy or loose (as

opposed
to heavy clay) you will not have any trouble with getting the raspberries

spread- your problem may be to keep them contained!

Ok thank you, that makes me feel better. If that's the case, the fence
should be 'berry-d' in no time ;-)

Raspberry cane question Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 4 10-01-2012 08:38 AM
Another New Raspberry Question Roger Tonkin United Kingdom 3 20-08-2010 12:24 PM
Raspberry Vines Question Bob Gardening 4 15-04-2010 12:00 PM
Raspberry cane question mogga United Kingdom 1 12-07-2009 04:27 PM
Another raspberry question Mary Fisher United Kingdom 7 18-08-2008 09:31 PM