Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Miracle Grow and the Organics

Hi. I live in Minnesota and wanted to get a jump on the growing
season. I started a small vegetable garden growing in my garage. I
started it from seeds and am very happy with the results. I should
add that I use a diluted mix of Miracle Grow. I'm concerned about
ingesting chemicals, so decided to switch to organic fertilizers
(nothing personal, just for me, the butterflies, bees, that darn
rabbit that always gets to the leafy greens and the soil). Okay, so I
am getting ready to transplant the plants to the backyard and switch
them to organic ferts as needed.

I called the place I purchased the organic ferts and asked for
recommendations. The young woman told me that it was not recommended
to switch at this time. That Miracle Grow prevents the use of other
ferts and will kill the plant if another fert is used. Although she
seemed sincere, I question this. So, to your knowledge, does this
make sense? What should I do? I want to go organic.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Hockey pucks. Transplant and give the transplants a dose of fish
emulsion. I have used Miracle grow in the past and I haven't seen any
interaction with the plants. My main beef with Miracle Grow is that it
doesn't help build the flora and fauna that you want in your soil and,
of course, I worry about what gets into it (and eventually me) during
the production process. Go natural, it has a 7,000 year record of
satisfaction.

- Bill
Old 13-05-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I'll second Bill's recommendation. That sales person has no clue what she's
talking about. Good organic fertilizers can be used any time of the year.
I suggest visiting www.dirtdoctor.com.
There is a wealth of free information on Howard's site, and you can call in
toll free on Sunday mornings and talk with him live on the radio program.
I'm a member of the "ground crew" and that is my only affiliation with him,
but I've been a follower of his for almost 20 years. It's worth your time
to check it out.

oups.com...

Old 13-05-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

When it come to ingesting chemicals, you are preaching to the choir. For
those who don't know about Body Burden let me suggest
http://www.ewg.org/sites/humantoxome/ where you can see what kind of
toxics have ended up in your neighbors.

For those of you who use biocides, you may want to mask up and pull on
those latex gloves.

- Bill

oups.com...

Old 15-05-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 12, 7:14 pm, William Rose wrote:
When it come to ingesting chemicals, you are preaching to the choir. For
those who don't know about Body Burden let me suggesthttp://www.ewg.org/sites/humantoxome/where you can see what kind of
toxics have ended up in your neighbors.

For those of you who use biocides, you may want to mask up and pull on
those latex gloves.

- Bill

Thanks Bill and Vern. Much appreciated. I will transplant with no
worries.

Old 15-05-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

There may be something in what she says. When you use something like
Miracle Grow, you might as well be doing hydroponics. Miracle Grow is
a sort of pre-digested plant food, like living on an IV drip. I have
read that Miracle Grow tends to kill soil because it is nothing but
microbe shit (the plant's food) with nothing for the microbes to live
on. I don't know how true this is, but it does make sense.

Otoh, you're about to put seed starts, with their modest soil volume,
into a much larger volume of soil. Unless that soil has just come out
from under a decades-long assault by lawn chemicals (or black plastic)
it's almost certainly alive. Even if your seed starts are addicted to
Miracle Grow, they should quickly send roots into the living soil and
start feeding there.

So, your transplants *may* have a bit more shock than usual, but I do
think it should be OK to go organic now.
Old 15-05-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/14/07 8:44 PM, in article , "Jon
Shemitz" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If only people in this country would devote as much time to understanding
basic physics, chemistry, and biology as they devote to American Idol,
Britney Spears, and various survivors, they would not eat willingly all this
crap that is handed out. The benefits of scientific thinking would extend
beyond gardening to such things as avoiding predatory lending and get rich
quick schemes.

Plants eat inorganic food. I grow hydroponicly. Plants thrive in this
inorganic (non-carbon containing except for some EDTA) chemical environment.
Sure, if you want to grow in soil, you need organic material and appropriate
microflora to keep the soil in good shape.

Miracle-Gro is similar to many hydroponic formulations but, IIRC, it goes a
bit overboard on nitrogen. I see no reason why you cannot switch to
fertilizer with less fertilizer. If plants need bacteria to live, there are
plenty to go around with9ut specifically adding them. When was the last time
you made a large compost pile with proper brown and green ingredients that
did not heat up even though no bacteria were added.

Bill
-- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:33:44 -0700, joangabriel wrote:

Am I the only one who only uses mulch? My soil was dead. I don't throw
away any plant matter (except some weeds with seeds), I just put it in a
pile. When I plant, I take this mulch and mix it with my soil. Then
plant, and add a layer of mulch on top of soil. Now after a couple of
years, my soil is alive and well.

Works for me like a magic charm.

stonerfish

Old 16-05-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
jellybean stonerfish wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:33:44 -0700, joangabriel wrote:

Am I the only one who only uses mulch? My soil was dead. I don't throw
away any plant matter (except some weeds with seeds), I just put it in a
pile. When I plant, I take this mulch and mix it with my soil. Then
plant, and add a layer of mulch on top of soil. Now after a couple of
years, my soil is alive and well.

Works for me like a magic charm.

stonerfish

Stoner,
You must not read this group much or your short-term memory is failing.
Many posters to rec.gardens.edible have extolled the use of mulch in all
of it's manifestations be it oak leaves, sawdust, lawn clippings,
kitchen scraps or, alfalfa, to name a few.

Yes, it is very efficacious.

You may also want to check rec.gardens for occasional comments on
mulching.

- Bill

Miracle Grow Ratio Joan United Kingdom 7 04-06-2003 02:44 PM
Anyone ever use Miracle-grow spikes? Jerry Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Miracle Grow Plant Spikes tinman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Anyone ever use Miracle-grow spikes? Jerry Lawns 0 30-03-2003 05:20 PM
Miracle Grow Plant Spikes Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 27-03-2003 12:44 AM