Old 13-05-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default HELP-Blackberries need containing

HELP-Blackberries need containing

My blackberries have left the garden, crossed the yard and I think are
about to come in the back door - What can I do?

4 years ago I planted 2 small blackberry shoots along the rear
fence of my yard. While I love the blackberries I get, I now have
50+ plants and they are migrating forward into my yard. Last year I
dug
and removed the plants that had come too far forward from the fence.
My goal is to do something permanent to keep the grass out of the
blackberry area and the blackberries out of the grass.
My idea is to dig a narrow trench (30 to 40 feet long) parallel to
and a few feet away from the fence (basically an arms length away)
and
bury something like alumninum that is sold in rolls of various widths
to prevent the roots from migrating across that border, then maybe
later putting down rock inside the border.

My questions:

1) How deep does material need to go? I am guessing 6 to 8 inches or
will the roots eventually go deeper and come under? I would like
this solution to last 20 years or more.

2) If I put some rock down where the blackberries are will I kill
them off accidentally? I want to keep the blackberries, just contain
them
and have an area that still looks reasonably attractive in the winter
when the canes have been pruned back to the ground. I am guessing a
thin layer of small landscape rock might be okay or should I go with
a mulch?

3) If the alumnium is a bad idea, why, and what would you suggest
instead?

Thanks in advance for any and all help or humor.

Old 13-05-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
"gardens.rec" wrote:

HELP-Blackberries need containing

My blackberries have left the garden, crossed the yard and I think are
about to come in the back door - What can I do?

snipped

Thanks in advance for any and all help or humor.

Dig them up as they grow, and sell them on ebay. ;-)

They are worth about $3.00 per rooted cane.

Your invading hoard will make you rich!

I can't keep them alive.
Send me some!

:-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-05-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12 May 2007 16:44:24 -0700, "gardens.rec"
wrote:

[...]

Remember that they not only send out runners, the birds eat them and
then drop the seeds all over the place.
--
Susan N.

Old 13-05-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 12, 7:44 pm, "gardens.rec" wrote:
[...]

You obviously don't mow very often. Mowing the grass regularly will
prevent the blackberries from taking over.

Fat chance accidently killing them with rocks.

Before the blackberry buds swell in the spring you can use roundup on
the grass in the berry patch.

Old 13-05-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
James wrote:

[...]

Timing is everything... :-)
--