Old 14-05-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default fertilizer mistake

Hi there,
I accidently used Miracle Grow Lawn food in my vegetable garden. ( i
thought it was the regular stuff )...

the npk is 36/6/6

is this going to a big problem for me??? and is there anything i can do
about it now??

Thanks for any help!

J.

Old 14-05-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sgold wrote:
Hi there,
I accidently used Miracle Grow Lawn food in my vegetable garden. ( i
thought it was the regular stuff )...

the npk is 36/6/6

is this going to a big problem for me??? and is there anything i can do
about it now??

Thanks for any help!

J.

Probably won't hurt it this early in the season (I'm assuming it's early
where you are) because the nitrogen helps the green growth and that's
what you're looking for now. Later in the season it might slow down
fruit production and give you a lot of green, but for right now, I
wouldn't be panicking.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.
Old 21-05-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 13, 6:18�pm, cloud dreamer wrote:
sgold wrote:
Hi there,
*I accidently used Miracle Grow Lawn food in my vegetable garden. ( i
thought it was the regular stuff )...

the npk is 36/6/6

is this going to a big problem for me??? and is there anything i can do
about it now??

Thanks for any help!

J.

Probably won't hurt it this early in the season (I'm assuming it's early
where you are) because the nitrogen helps the green growth and that's
what you're looking for now. Later in the season it might slow down
fruit production and give you a lot of green, but for right now, I
wouldn't be panicking.

* ..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

I think the biggest problem will be too much green tops at the later
expense of flowers and roots. I would also strongly guess that since
it is early in the season and since miracle grow is a short lived
fertilizer, that rain or irrigation will wash most, if not all of it
away, by the time your real growing "production" season gets there. In
summary, don't think it is much to worry about at all. Just use the
correct fertilizer the next time. Remember also that you can apply the
proper fertilizer earlier than normal by diluting it to half strenght
and use it in half the time. I find as a general rule, that throughout
the growing season that I use the half amount twice as ofter as my
general rule always. Seems to do much better. Good luck from sunny
southern California. Jim