Old 21-05-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ants Loving my Squash

Howdy.

I recently invented a highly effective organic squash bug control
system and am very pleased with it. Normally, my squash plants die
early, but now that they're actually growing I'm noticing little ants
all over the flowers. The cukes and melons appear to have the same
problem -- little ants everywhere.

1. Is this a problem? Are they impacting pollination? Should I be
trying to kill them?
2. If so, how can I safely do this without threatening bees and other
beneficials? I garden organically, but as a general rule, I avoid
even organic pesticides

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth, and these are not fireants... they're
about half the size of a normal fireant.

Also, I do have fruit... but I don't know if it's in spite of these
little guys or not. Very tasty, by the way.

FYI, my organic squash bug control works for cuke beetles also: I
reward my kids with an extended bedtime for killing them. Squash bug
= 1 minute; squash bug egg cluster = 2 minutes; cuke beetle = 1
minute. One of my kids racked up 22 minutes one night.

Thanks,
Chris
Keller, TX

Old 21-05-2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
Chris Hamel wrote:

[...]

Those are probably harvester or sugar ants.
Leave them be. They are aiding in pollination. ;-)

I'd pay the kids in nickles for that service. G
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 22-05-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Chris Hamel" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My grandma called those sugar ants. There's a few in my garden as well.
They're harmless. Don't really affect the garden except to loosen the soil
a bit.

Those ants used to come in from her windows sill to the adjacent table. If
you spilled something sweet, they would be all over it. Toting it back
outside. She would become infuriated if anyone would try to mash them.
Dave

Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hamel View Post
Howdy.
Also, I do have fruit... but I don't know if it's in spite of these
little guys or not. Very tasty, by the way.
Thanks,
Chris
Keller, TX
"Very tasty, by the way"