Old 30-05-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cutting tomatoes

My tomatoes are like 8 ft tall should I cut them down or just let them grow.
I think I have a little to much Nitrogen in my soil this year. I am starting
to get tomatoes, so should I just let it be.

KA

Old 30-05-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Aluckyguess wrote:
My tomatoes are like 8 ft tall should I cut them down or just let them grow.
I think I have a little to much Nitrogen in my soil this year. I am starting
to get tomatoes, so should I just let it be.

KA

taking moment to comprehend an eight foot tall tomato plant

If the tomatoes are coming in, you might want to suspend growth. You
want the energy to go into fruit production now, not more green growth.
Just pinch off all the those little suckers as they sprout on the top
end....if you can reach it...

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East, the land of short tomato plants.

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.
Old 30-05-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

cloud dreamer wrote:
Aluckyguess wrote:
My tomatoes are like 8 ft tall should I cut them down or just let them
grow. I think I have a little to much Nitrogen in my soil this year. I
am starting to get tomatoes, so should I just let it be.

KA

taking moment to comprehend an eight foot tall tomato plant

If the tomatoes are coming in, you might want to suspend growth. You
want the energy to go into fruit production now, not more green growth.
Just pinch off all the those little suckers as they sprout on the top
end....if you can reach it...

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East, the land of short tomato plants.

Geeze, I thought mine were doing well. I have one lonely
tomato that's about golf ball sized already. But the plants
are only about 18" or so.

I'd take the above advice and stunt any further plant growth.

Where the devil are ya?

5b - Poughkeepsie, NY here

--
Steve
Old 30-05-2007, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Calvin wrote:
cloud dreamer wrote:
Aluckyguess wrote:
My tomatoes are like 8 ft tall should I cut them down or just let
them grow. I think I have a little to much Nitrogen in my soil this
year. I am starting to get tomatoes, so should I just let it be.

KA

taking moment to comprehend an eight foot tall tomato plant

If the tomatoes are coming in, you might want to suspend growth. You
want the energy to go into fruit production now, not more green
growth. Just pinch off all the those little suckers as they sprout on
the top end....if you can reach it...

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East, the land of short tomato plants.

Geeze, I thought mine were doing well. I have one lonely tomato that's
about golf ball sized already. But the plants are only about 18" or so.

I'd take the above advice and stunt any further plant growth.

Where the devil are ya?

5b - Poughkeepsie, NY here

You have a tomato already!! LOL. My tomato plants are like six inches
high...just transplanted. I guess I should recheck my zone...I'm in
5b...but the spring has felt like Zone 3.

Zone ?? in Canada's Far East.

Old 30-05-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

cloud dreamer wrote:

5b - Poughkeepsie, NY here

You have a tomato already!! LOL. My tomato plants are like six inches
high...just transplanted. I guess I should recheck my zone...I'm in
5b...but the spring has felt like Zone 3.

Zone ?? in Canada's Far East.

Yeah, I was actually shocked when I looked. Really, it's
about the size of a golf ball. I've got to baby green
peppers too. Go figure

--
Steve

Old 30-05-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
cloud dreamer wrote:
Aluckyguess wrote:
My tomatoes are like 8 ft tall should I cut them down or just let them
grow. I think I have a little to much Nitrogen in my soil this year. I
am starting to get tomatoes, so should I just let it be.

KA

taking moment to comprehend an eight foot tall tomato plant

If the tomatoes are coming in, you might want to suspend growth. You want
the energy to go into fruit production now, not more green growth. Just
pinch off all the those little suckers as they sprout on the top
end....if you can reach it...

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East, the land of short tomato plants.

Geeze, I thought mine were doing well. I have one lonely tomato that's
about golf ball sized already. But the plants are only about 18" or so.

I'd take the above advice and stunt any further plant growth.

Where the devil are ya?

Southern California.

5b - Poughkeepsie, NY here

--
Steve

Old 30-05-2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
news
cloud dreamer wrote:

5b - Poughkeepsie, NY here

You have a tomato already!! LOL. My tomato plants are like six inches
high...just transplanted. I guess I should recheck my zone...I'm in
5b...but the spring has felt like Zone 3.

Zone ?? in Canada's Far East.

Yeah, I was actually shocked when I looked. Really, it's about the size of
a golf ball. I've got to baby green peppers too. Go figure

I have been eating Jalopenos for month. I am giving squawsh away. The onions
are ready and waiting for the Tomatoes. Strawberries and 4 different kinds
of beens along with Broccoli.The carrots are taking there time. The lettuce
is starting to bolt so i will pull most of that this weekend.

Thanks for the advice on the tomatoes I will cut them this weekend. I just
didnt know if it was ok.

--
Steve

Old 30-05-2007, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

cloud dreamer wrote:
Aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

Makes sense. The one of few localities to have decent warmth and sun for
warm crops this early. Course its been dry there too. Desert aided by
artificial water availability. Use water while you got it.

My tomato plants are short 1.5 ft. tall things. Lotsa flowers. No fruit
yet. Sunny weather and heat will make the difference soon. Jalopenos
haven't started flowering yet.
Dave

Old 20-12-2007, 12:13 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

what is your gardening zone and what type of tomato are you growing?